I now have two separate movements where I cant seem to remove the ratchet wheel from the arbour ... both are solid. I wondered what my options might be for removal  - I am concerned about ruining the screw head or shearing it through too much force. Any suggestions gatefully received. On one I have to date tried using the tipof a soldering iron to introduce heat and left it soaking in both isopropyl and an easing oil each for a few days to no avail.

I have come across ratchet wheel screws which are reverse threaded, like the crown wheel screws. 

It's worth trying to turn the screws a fraction in the opposite direction you are trying to go, as it might break the stiction - and you might discover they are reverse threaded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One movement is an AS 984 (so I assume not reverse threaded - the one I applied heat to and soaked is a Trench Watch movement so will see if that is reverse threaded.

The trench watch movement was indeed reverse threaded ... made that error before so feel a bit of a numpty .. the AS 984 wouldn't be a reverse thread would it?

10 minutes ago, LeCorbusier said:

One movement is an AS 984 (so I assume not reverse threaded

I just checked on a 984 in my parts bin. The ratchet wheel/arbor screw IS reverse or left hand threaded, so clockwise to undo.

• Thanks 1

Sooner or later I might be called Mr Coca- Cola here, for having prescribed Coca-Cola as penetrating solution for loosening screws all along. 

Give the ratchet screw a 48hr soak in Coca-Cola، try loosening before the coke dries.

Rgds

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Sooner or later I might be called Mr Coca- Cola here, for having prescribed Coca-Cola as penetrating solution for loosening screws all along. 

Give the ratchet screw a 48hr soak in Coca-Cola، try loosening before the coke dries.

Rgds

I've never tried it as a penetrating solution, I must give it a go. I just not keen on drinking too much of the stuff - your nuts might fall off 🤣

I'll stick to beer and whisky 🤪

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.