I picked this up on ebay with some other stuff.  I have already used the Ronsonal soak technique to get it running, but I think I woke up too happy today, so maybe I will do a full service to get myself in the RIGHT mood...lol.  I also need a crystal for it.  31.7mm in dia, but did not see a fit in the GS catalog.  The crystal rides above the rotating bezel, so it needs to be a thicker crystal (I think).

On the dial side, that brass (gold colored) wheel is the date wheel.  I don't think I have to remove it.  Maybe @JerseyMocan weigh in.

image.png.415a3cf1441b1784e7c52c6c66c1d83b.png

image.png.6713819f78f438d10b5d57d4c6db76d4.png

image.png.3ff8b7299dfc8fafa6bd2e76387c32e2.png

I have serviced/ repaired a few Timex,s. I have used the menthod of cleaning the whole movement after removing some parts in my watch cleaning machine & I have stripped the movement down cleaned and assembled in the traditional way. Assembling a Timex if completely stripped down is a challenge as one single plate is used to hold all of the pivots. 
However I did not get a better performance with the traditional method, possibly because there are no jewels so pivot and pivot holes do have wear and so performance enhancements are limited. But even with a Timex,s  very basis design they really do work well indeed and give many years of usage.

Edited by clockboy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, clockboy said:

I have used the menthod of cleaning the whole movement after removing some parts in my watch cleaning machine

Do you use an ultrasonic or an L&R spinning style machine?  In either case, would I worry about the hairspring?

I have both types of machines--my ultrasonic is just a jewelry cleaner type.

------------

I went ahead and performed a full disassemble and clean.  Glad I did because there was some residual rust grunge on the balance pivots, so I cleaned them and polished them on the lathe.  While, everything is between two plates, it is not that hard to reassemble.  I hold the plates together with my fingers and give lite pressure while giving a little jiggle.  Most pivots fall right in place.  I use a pointer (an old oiler that has pointed to a hundred microns or so) to coax the remaining wheel into place.

16 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

DAMN!!  The date jumper took flight.  Could not for the life of me figure out how to stabilize that thing.

Anybody know if it is magnetic?  I did a sweep and did not find it.

So is it eternally the 2nd?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.