Westclox Boyproof Mainspring Rewind

I bought a Westclox Boyproof Pin Pallet pocket watch a few months ago and found that the mainspring barrel was split.  I managed to find another donor watch in which the barrel is good (also had no mainspring).. One of the shafts on one of the gears had moved too so it donated one of those as well.  It's been sitting around because I can't figure out how to wind the mainspring into the barrel.  The barrel arbor is integrated into the lid on the barrel and using that to do it by hand is nigh on impossible.  Similarly hooking the end of the spring on the barrel and winding inwards is equally tricky.  Is there another way without acquiring a large mainspring winder, or is one of those options the only way?

I have attached a photo.

IMG_5840.jpg

Edited by Jonno65

Hi   Which bit does the inner coil attac to ?  The coil is to big for the fixed arbour but looks as though it fits on the brass wheel which then fits on to the fixed arbour. In which case try winding it onto that or making an arbour fitting into a pin. Vice and doing it that way..   a Single spring winder is around 50£ and you may only use it once..

a close up of both arbours attaching points ? Would be helpful 

• Like 1

I usually keep the washers that already wound brand new mainspring come in.

If you can find a washer with ID equal to or a bit smaller than ID of the barrel, we then are in business.

Hand wind the used mainspring inside the washer, like new ones are,  next rinse the mess, spread a bit of oil on top of the coil, grease bareel wall. 

You now have your mainspring wound as a new one, ready to be pushed into the barrel.

Hope this helps and good luck.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi   Which bit does the inner coil attac to ?  The coil is to big for the fixed arbour but looks as though it fits on the brass wheel which then fits on to the fixed arbour. In which case try winding it onto that or making an arbour fitting into a pin. Vice and doing it that way..   a Single spring winder is around 50£ and you may only use it once..

a close up of both arbours attaching points ? Would be helpful 

The brass section is the arbor/lid combined.  I have tried winding it onto that but the tension is too much to hold by hand, especially when attempting to insert into the barrel.  There is a hook on the wall of the barrel as well which is a better option but still tricky and did mis-shape the bridle end of the spring and i'm super-cautious of not damaging it given I don't have a spare.

12 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

If you can find a washer with ID equal to or a bit smaller than ID of the barrel, we then are in business.

Hand wind the used mainspring inside the washer, like new ones are,  next rinse the mess, spread a bit of oil on top of the coil, grease bareel wall. 

That sounds feasible.  I could actually machine up something of the correct diameter - and slightly thicker than a washer which will help.  I'll give that a go.

• Like 1

Just a little update on winding the Westclox mainspring.  I machined up a barrel winder with a lead-in slot (didn't start out that way).... and I also had to use a pusher as well.  It was still a bit of a pain as you have to line up the hook (bridle end for it to seat in properly.  Anyway, done done and thanks for the tip!  Pics attached.

Now to rebuild the pocket watch!

IMG_5854.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5853.jpg

IMG_5856.jpg

IMG_5857.jpg

• Like 3