Am I up for this?

linux

Hello all.  I'm an old guy who has too many hobbies that I drop eventually but I've gotten excited about this one.  I have probably a 30 year old Rolex datejust and decided that for my 74th birthday I'd buy a sub but when they said it'd be a year or two and put me on a list I started looking around for an alternative.  Then my wife and I were in Charleston on a mini vacation and I dragged her to the Rolex store in hopes they would have an actual watch in the store for sale but it was just the same; display models only so my wife, looking to end my my expensive Rolex hobby bought me an Oris.  I love the watch but it got me thinking about dive watchs and automatic watches in general and I'm fascinated by how they work.

So after reading up on watches and movements I decided to see what's inside and maybe take one apart, and no, the datejust will not be opened but I have an old Endura stopwatch that I'm about to dig into with some tools I bought online.

I'm excited to be here and will have many questions about tools and instruction I'm sure.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, linux said:

Hello all.  I'm an old guy who has too many hobbies that I drop eventually but I've gotten excited about this one.  I have probably a 30 year old Rolex datejust and decided that for my 74th birthday I'd buy a sub but when they said it'd be a year or two and put me on a list I started looking around for an alternative.  Then my wife and I were in Charleston on a mini vacation and I dragged her to the Rolex store in hopes they would have an actual watch in the store for sale but it was just the same; display models only so my wife, looking to end my my expensive Rolex hobby bought me an Oris.  I love the watch but it got me thinking about dive watchs and automatic watches in general and I'm fascinated by how they work.

So after reading up on watches and movements I decided to see what's inside and maybe take one apart, and no, the datejust will not be opened but I have an old Endura stopwatch that I'm about to dig into with some tools I bought online.

I'm excited to be here and will have many questions about tools and instruction I'm sure.  

Eyup linux welcome, enjoy the hobby and the forum.  Here is a great place to learn. Accompany your questions with plenty of clear picures, we love pictures almost as much as we love watches.