Pocket Watch Crystal

Gary

Hi All!

I recently purchased an Imperial pocket watch. Seems a size 18 and I am going to need a crystal. I have measured the inner bezel and it seems to be an 18 8/16 ? Do  I need to purchase one size larger?

Saw pocket watch and couldn't stay away.  I need a little schooling here old hippy, so hip me.  Except for my hunter's cases, my 18s Elgins all have thick high dome crystals.  (I just checked to be sure).  So how do you decide which and when? Is it a period thing?  (All my 18s are before 1910, and most are 1868 to 1890).  It seems the older the watch, the thicker the glass, but what are the other considerations?

Edited by klinej54

I can post photos later. It is open face and I would prefer to use glass, however, I do not have a crystal press at this time. I may purchase one this week but I thought I would try heating the bezel and dropping it in ??

Thoughts?

First of all the glass would be quite thick, you do not use any sort of press for fitting only your fingers . One of the ways is to heat the bezel and drop it in (be very careful). Many years ago watchmakers would have a vast range of glasses and they would find the right one by finding the tightest fit plus one next and use that by pressing it in, no glue would be used. Those days are long gone, the only other way would be to send it away and have it fitted, if you do you will need to remove the movement and send the complete case.  

Im not sure if you noticed but usually pocket watch bezels are not ideal circles - in most cases are a bit oval, so best way to measure it,  is to take 3 measeurements in different parts of the bezel and then glass you are looking for is the average size of 3 measurements. As Oldhippy mentioned it can be tricky to properly fit glass. To do trick with heating bezel you need also put glass into a freezer, easy way to heat bezel is to put it on traditional lightning bulb for few minutes. I was trying this method but I was not succesful :) good luck

Edited by Rafal