Seiko alpinist sarb017 dial loose dial

Hi,

I am a new member, tbh, more like a guest.  Just joined now as I was searching for answers what may happened to  my Seiko. I absolutely love it, but recently I have found that the dial is kind of moving (see pic). It does not feel loose to shaking or  moving the watch around, but it rotates with the hands. So the question what may have caused it, how serious the problem may be and what I should be doing. Btw, I dodo not drop it or anything. 

Any ideas? 

Also, it may be relevant that it was fairly recently (within 2 years, I think) was serviced by Seiko. 

Thanks, 

Andras

IMG_2051.jpg

>>If you can pull out the stem and set the watch, then the dial has come loose. Pretty sure that is the case.

When yon rotate the inner bezel, does the dial move?<<

I re read the OP and realize that the comment above is dumb.  Sorry.  The watch will need to be removed from the case to investigate why the dial has come loose.  May need to repair dial feet.

Edited by LittleWatchShop

On 5/5/2023 at 4:35 PM, LittleWatchShop said:

May need to repair dial feet.

Yes, this seems to be the generic view. IN my case, this would need to be done by a repair shop - question is whether I can trust a standard shop (like Timepiece watch repairs) or should I send to to Seiko - or perhaps soneone has a suggestion for someone else. Having talked to a couple of places, their likely response will be to order a new dial from Seiko. I have tried looking on ebay for a dial but it does not seem to be available for this watch. What I would like to know: even if I managed to source a new dial: would that come with dial feet(s)? Is it really necessary to get a new dial (when it likely to cost > £100) instead of, as is suggested, getting or repairing the current one? 

Also, is it damaging the the watch to use "as is" - at least until I find a solution? It is funny in a way, and is actually shows the time correctly (ie the hands are going around OK, just need to ignore the dial)

Apologies if I made lots a silly comments - obviously do not know the first thing about watches. 

8 hours ago, AndrasP said:

Yes, this seems to be the generic view. IN my case, this would need to be done by a repair shop - question is whether I can trust a standard shop (like Timepiece watch repairs) or should I send to to Seiko - or perhaps soneone has a suggestion for someone else. Having talked to a couple of places, their likely response will be to order a new dial from Seiko. I have tried looking on ebay for a dial but it does not seem to be available for this watch. What I would like to know: even if I managed to source a new dial: would that come with dial feet(s)? Is it really necessary to get a new dial (when it likely to cost > £100) instead of, as is suggested, getting or repairing the current one? 

Also, is it damaging the the watch to use "as is" - at least until I find a solution? It is funny in a way, and is actually shows the time correctly (ie the hands are going around OK, just need to ignore the dial)

Apologies if I made lots a silly comments - obviously do not know the first thing about watches. 

I am an amateur fixing watches for friends. I just repaired a dial several days ago. It is not hard, but there is some skill involved. Cost? I have no idea. I suspect some forum members on your side of the pond can offer guidance.

I doubt continuing to run the watch would cause damage, but if it were mine, I would not continue to let it run.

don't know how these things happen but it looks like both your dial feature broken off. That either means a new dial or somebody figures out how to attach dial feed or worst-case they can use something called dial dots. There's sticky little things that hold dials in place but it be better to just replace the dial. In which case I would send it to Seiko because they can deal with the problem.

11 hours ago, AndrasP said:

new dial: would that come with dial feet(s)? Is it really necessary to get a new dial (when it likely to cost > £100) instead of, as is suggested, getting or repairing the current one? 

yes brand-new dials come with the feet. Then depending upon where you live I suspect you're not going to find anybody repair it for less than the cost of the dial. Then even if you get a new dial somebody has to put it on the not going to do that for free. But it depends upon where you live there are some parts the planet where watch repair is really really really cheap. Of course the cost of living in those parts the country is also incredibly cheap etc.

On 5/5/2023 at 3:39 AM, AndrasP said:

Also, it may be relevant that it was fairly recently (within 2 years, I think) was serviced by Seiko. 

I would look into your warranty and acquire through Seiko because maybe they'll fix the problem under warranty or something

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I would look into your warranty and acquire through Seiko because maybe they'll fix the problem under warranty or something

I agree. Back to Seiko to see if they missed something at the last service. If you're lucky, they might take some responsibility. Also the best way to get an original dial.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

Thanks very much for the responses. There is a clear consensus that I need a new dial. Unfortunately, I was wrong  about time for the service by Seiko - this was more than 2 yrs ago.  As such they do not seem to take any responsibility - not at least before I send the watch to them. I am in the UK, and I do not think repairs are particularly cheap here - but it seems using Seiko is particularly  expensive, and I do not like to send the watch for service (there is no walk in option for Seiko). 

So the only remaining question is whether it is really worthwhile to send the watch to Seiko (to London)  or am I better off / as good just using a Seiko approved service nearer to home (Manchester area)  where I can had the watch over directly, and discuss with the repairer. 

Any views on this? 

New dial feet can be attached to the existing dial. If you have the right tool it is a 10 minute job once you have the dial out of the watch. The upside is that you get to keep the original dial and should work out cheaper. The dial feet are pennies and a blob of epoxy to stick them to the dial compared to the cost of a new genuine Seiko dial (if you can find one) which may or may not compliment the existing watch. The difference in time for the repair between replacing the dial and adding feet to the existing one will be 10 mins. To to echo the others I would speak 'person to person' with the watchmaker (not a jeweler) and ask about replacing the dial feet onto the existing dial (which looks in great condition by the way).

I have done this myself, the tool costs <£75 (see below) so most good watchmakers should have no excuse not to have one on their shelves.

image.thumb.png.fc090023e7d9abfc461d187e92ae41da.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Waggy said:

and ask about replacing the dial feet onto the existing dial (which looks in great condition by the way).

Hi Waggy (Scott), must admit you have touched a nerve with that comment. I also think that the dial is in a good condition (and cannot really think how it got detached in the first place I have not given any shock to the watch) - and would be a waste to throw away. I looked around, and do not seem to find a replacement one, the one supplier I have found had it for 160 euro, and was out of stock  anyway (this watch is discontinued, and is quite sought after and the main reason for it is the  very dial, it seems).

Anyone from the Manchester area (UK) or north England on this site with a suggestion for a good watchmaker? 

5 minutes ago, AndrasP said:

and do not seem to find a replacement one

one of the problems when searching for spare parts is the assumption that you can find everything by looking online. You need to find a material house that has a Seiko parts account. Then you need to ask them directly whether they can get your dial or not. Because Seiko parts account is not online available for us to look at is only available to people who have a Seiko account.

7 hours ago, AndrasP said:

Anyone from the Manchester area (UK) or north England on this site with a suggestion for a good watchmaker? 

I am sure there is someone on here who can point you in the right direction, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Let us know how you get on 🙂

I'm afraid can't help you with a shop recommendation. Didn't you already mention a place in Bury with connections to Seiko?

If it was my watch, I would do the following:

1. Find out what is wrong with the dial. Broken original feet, or glue-on feet, adhesive pads etc. applied at the last service?

2. Get the repair done with original Seiko parts, including a genuine SARB017 dial.

3. Keep the old dial!

Apart from being a very attractve watch, this is a bit of a modern classic, very sought after and well woth keeping in good original condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I have reached a dead end. Repair services  it seems fall in 2 categories: Seiko affiliated and non-Seiko affiliated ones. The latter ones just send me to the first category. These then consult Seiko, Seiko asks to watch to be sent to them. (ie all rads leads to Seiko).  I have a quote for nearly £600 (half of it for a service and other half for actually replacing the dial) - which sound like a right rip-off to me. 

So I am kind of back to square one. How do I find a good old fashioned watch-maker who just takes my watch and looks at it properly? Given the price quoted, it seems like even travelling for it (within Europe) could be an option. Difficulty in this option of course is sourcing an original dial. 

Is it worthwhile opening a new thread on type of watch repair services available at various places? I really do not know, as perhaps it is not within profile for this forum - as most people here I suppose would be able to fix its own watch in a similar situation (?)

Just curious, is this one of the original early 1960s models?  I think the more modern ones have that cyclops over the date, so I’m just curious. 

I also have Alpinist but is a newer model and of a different style. I absolutely love it. I’d love to have one like this, but not with the cyclops eye, so I’d be looking to get yours fixed as that is a really fine looking watch. 

On 5/16/2023 at 2:04 AM, AndrasP said:

(this watch is discontinued, and is quite sought after and the main reason for it is the  very dial, it seems).

one of the problems with discontinued or limited production is availability of parts. 

oh minor confusion on my part I was looking at the link below which talks about your watch. But why do all their dials look green than yours looks blue?

6 hours ago, AndrasP said:

How do I find a good old fashioned watch-maker who just takes my watch and looks at it properly?

then out of curiosity what sort of price would you like to pay?

https://www.chrono24.com/seiko/ref-sarb017.htm

Just now, tomh207 said:

I think @Waggygave you the best suggestion, either get the tools and do it yourself, we will help with advice, or ask for someone here who has the tools and means to accomplish it. It doesn’t need to be 100’s of pounds.

Tom

I would be happy to do it if he lived in the states.  Once, someone on this forum sent me a 2824 that had the well known keyless works issue and I fixed it for him for free.  I think he paid me for shipping...but maybe not.  Currently, all of my work is for free...which is why I suddenly have so many new friends.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/27/2023 at 10:51 AM, AndrasP said:

Unfortunately I have reached a dead end.

You are in the Manchester area, right? There is a watchmaking school in Manchester, so you could ask around there for contacts. Also search the British Horological Institute website for their list of certified repairers in the area.

I'm surprised that the independent repairers keep sending you down the official Seiko route, as the existing dial can almost certainly be repaired or fixed in place by anyone with the necessary tools and competence, by one of several more or less secure methods. However, if you want a brand-new dial fitted, then your only choice seems to be the official Seiko service.

I would still want to get a look under the dial before deciding how to proceed.