Some Bulova Help Please.....part 2

Howzit  Vic ,  I moved to a new post . Part 1 was turning into a Novel .

You had said that you use altered [ filed , cut ] hypodermic needles to as a tool for the Accutron index /pawl finger collets .  Can you please explain that more ? A couple of pics would help .

Mahalo , Louis

post-808-0-32566100-1438537907_thumb.png

What I use is an oiler filed down to fit in the slot works great. Also I posted on the other pages about the spring. I place the top plate on the movement and tighten down then with tweezers and pith wood I work the spring in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I use is an oiler filed down to fit in the slot works great. Also I posted on the other pages about the spring. I place the top plate on the movement and tighten down then with tweezers and pith wood I work the spring in place.

Good idea....I'm stealing it.....keep 'um coming.... :zoro:

Aloha Vic , lowcountry and All . 

I have started studying the Accutron tech manual for the 218 movements...there's a lot of ground to cover .  I have a movement that  I just received and the fork hums ,but the gears do not continuously spin when I push in the crown to the run position . The index wheel does start but stops every time I pull the crown out and back in . I checked the troubleshooting section and it states that the index wheel may be dirty .

But , I played very sightly with positioning the crown and there's a place where the gears all turn as normal . that position is neither in or out of the setting or run positions . I also read that there is a hack adjustment on page 20 .  

SO , I think that I need to either adjust the hack , or [God I hope not ,...not yet anyway ] , replace the hack .  I am also thinking that the pilot part of the stem that engages the hack may be worn ...or too long . I do have a couple of new accutron stems coming my way and hope that they are for the 218's .

post-808-0-85356400-1438761187_thumb.png

What comes after step #2 ?  My pdf jumps from page to page....

post-808-0-22668000-1438761514_thumb.png

Can anyone please give me your thoughts and input on the hack adjustment ?  .........  Thanks , Louis

Try adjusting the pawl bridge I think that will start your watch, also make sure the index pawl is set as well. Set the index pawl gap first then adjust the pawl bridge. This is what I normally do to keep it running.

Try adjusting the pawl bridge I think that will start your watch, also make sure the index pawl is set as well. Set the index pawl gap first then adjust the pawl bridge. This is what I normally do to keep it running.

I haven't checked the manual yet , but  is adjusting the pawl bridge procedure in there . I know I read about tweeking the pawl finger post to adjust hacking ,...is that what you mean by adjust he index pawl gap ? 1/2 to 1 jewel width away from the index wheel with the crown pulled . I just bought some diabetic syringes and needles to do that . Also , do you use the accutron or a stereo microscope to do your adjustments ?

How do I adjust the pawl bridge ? ...A lot of questions I know ,.... But Thanks , Louis

Edited by ricardopalamino

The index pawl should have a gap like the manuel shows but the jewel should touch the index wheel and be centered on the wheel.  The crown pulled out the pawl finger should be 1/2 to 1 jewel away from the index wheel.  To adjust bend the post that is next to the pawl finger.  Once this is adjusted then the pawl plate has a cam shaped screw on the back of the plate, loosen the front screw just enough so you can move the plate with cam screw.  This moves the pawl finger on the index wheel.  to get watch running you have to adjust both the index and the pawl fingers.  If the gap onm the index finger is set then most likely all you have to move is the pawl finger.  I have a Accutron microscope but i hardly ever use it, I have a 10 power loupe that I use most of the time.  Hope this helps hard to explain on paper.  Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks , I'll try . I have done that with hairsprings using Marks video as a guide . Pretty neat .

In your post you wrote , "To adjust bend the post that is next to the pawl finger.  Once this is adjusted then the pawl plate has a cam shaped screw on the back of the plate, loosen the front screw just enough so you can move the plate with cam screw.  This moves the pawl finger on the index wheel. "

This adjustment with the cam shaped screw on the pawl plate ,....is that adjusted with the train bridge plate , gears , and fingers all in place ....not stripped down I hope ? See attachment .

As I stated earlier , I am still in the process of reading the tech manual and have not yet examined these parts in place .  I just ordered a 10X Lume from Bausch and Lomb .

Thank You and Vic for your patience and guidence with these movements . These Accutrons are a different animal for sure .

Aloha , Louis

post-808-0-16339700-1439050898_thumb.png

I got my needles from the bay.  rather cheaply at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161141648416?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Don't forget to clean any filings from the outside and inside before use.  As you can see from my pic through the scope, the tool does not have to look pretty though I dare say that if you spent more time on it than I, then it would turn out more uniformly.  What I can say is they took me about 20 mins and they both work perfectly. 

You could probably do without a handle on the collet turner as the needle is about 1½ inches long and the plastic end is ok to hold.  The bore of the needle is important however, the post bender must be a snug fit and the collet turner a bit slacker.  The sizes I used are in the posting but it does depend on your supplier as the bore depends on the thickness of the wall of the needle.

Good luck,

Vic

I got my needles from the bay.  rather cheaply at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161141648416?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Don't forget to clean any filings from the outside and inside before use.  As you can see from my pic through the scope, the tool does not have to look pretty though I dare say that if you spent more time on it than I, then it would turn out more uniformly.  What I can say is they took me about 20 mins and they both work perfectly. 

You could probably do without a handle on the collet turner as the needle is about 1½ inches long and the plastic end is ok to hold.  The bore of the needle is important however, the post bender must be a snug fit and the collet turner a bit slacker.  The sizes I used are in the posting but it does depend on your supplier as the bore depends on the thickness of the wall of the needle.

Good luck,

Vic

Howzit Vic , How you  doing ?  I didn't see any pics you posted with the revolutionary Hypo - needle post collet tool . Did I miss something ?

Thanks , Louis

Hi Louis,

I put a thread in the "watch repair tutorials and information forum" sorry it took so long to answer your question but hopefully all you need is there to create the tools.  The hypodermic needle size is critical, they sell about 20+ different sizes all with differing bores and the suppliers sometimes have slight variation in the thickness of the wall of the needle.

Cheers,

Vic

Last time I saw something like this it was an old watch that had not been phased for a new type battery and a new battery had been inserted. It needed one of the more expensive accucells as the voltage was lower.

Cheers,

Vic