Hello from NJ

Hello all. My name is Alex and I've been a watch enthusiast for about 8 years or so. I've gotten very interested in vintage stuff lately and also bought my first luxury watch last year. I'm no stranger to forums and have been spending most of my time on the Omega Forums recently. I have a pretty good high-level understanding of the components and how mechanical watches work. I've toyed with the idea of learning some watchmaking a couple of times but I don't have much free time so I just sidelined the idea.

Anyway, I would like to get started even in a small capacity. I ordered a couple of books today and started perusing eBay for movements to practice on. I'm thinking to buy some cheap pocket watch movements and learn how to take them apart and re-assemble to get myself started. Any suggestions on movements I should be looking for is welcome. I figured pocket watches are bigger and easier to work on for a beginner. Whatever I get needs to be cheap and destroyable as I'm sure you all know. I'm sure I'll get a better plan together as I read more of this site.

I think it would be pretty cool if I could ultimately service some of my own time/date automatic wristwatches. I know that would be far in the future if I stick with this but if I keep acquiring vintage pieces the service costs get tough to manage.

Thanks for having me!
-Alex

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

You have hit the nail right on the head. I always advise those that are starting out to start with pocket watch movements and saying all that you have said. Stay away from Fusee pocket watch movements they are so different from the other types, don't bother with smiths or ingersoll, I know they are cheap but again different. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Aroxx said:

Any suggestions on movements I should be looking for is welcome.

Welcome!

Indeed, pocket watches are the way to go when you're new. The classic choice is the ETA/Unitas 6497 or ETA/Unitas 6498 or a clone (but make sure it has an Incabloc shock setting - easier to handle anti-shock springs) and if you get one of those, then eBay is full of options for cases, dials, and hands should you later want to build your own wristwatch. Here's an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/285105345208

• Like 1

Thank you all for the welcome and excellent advice so far. The hunt for a movement is on! Since I’ve been hunting vintage watches I’m getting good at sleuthing on eBay. 😄

• Like 1

Hey there Alex! I'm up in Hackettstown, northwest NJ. Whereabouts are you?

I started with a bunch of Elgin 345 movements. They're great practice for all your fundamentals, but one thing I did learn is that parts are seldom interchangeable, even among the same year/movement. So if you need to replace something, it becomes a lot more complicated and difficult.

When I later started doing Mark's course, I bought one of the ST36/6497 clone movements available on eBay. It gives you a known working movement, that way when you take it apart and reassemble, you know it should be working when you're done.

They're also relatively inexpensive to get started.

Edit: in fact, I'd be happy to send you mine to play with. It's just sitting in a drawer.

image.thumb.png.3409ab9980a1ed760498e5c603dc19da.png

Edited by ManSkirtBrew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aroxx said:

If I can get these Elgin movements cheap do you think it would be an okay place to start?

You'd be better off starting with the ST36/6497 clone for the reasons that @ManSkirtBrew mentions. Also, the ST36/6497 clone (or the original ETA/Unitas 6497) has Incabloc shock settings which are easier to disassemble, clean, and reassemble when you're new.

If you want something truly affordable, fun, and with plenty of inexpensive spares, however more fiddly to work on, then I'd say Vostok calibre 2409.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are alright to practice with such as getting use to using your watchmakers screwdrivers, handling fiddle parts with your tweezers, using you eye glass (you will need a few of those with different strengths)  taking notice of the wheel train and the keyless workings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once again, thank you all. Sorry for the rushed post above but I appreciate the fast responses! I had added those Elgins to my eBay watch list before I joined here. The alert popped up this morning that they were closing and they were still very cheap. I actually went for them but lost by a dollar. I'm assuming some sniping software beat me. No big deal. I will definitely start with the ST36/6497 as has been suggested.

@ManSkirtBrewThank you so much for the offer. It's very kind. I will send you a message. This is something I love about most forum communities is people are always quick to help! I'm currently in Hamilton, NJ (just updated my profile) but I grew up in Vernon so I'm very familiar with your neck of the woods. I actually just got home from a meetup with another watch collector from my other forum. Lots of fun and talking watches!

• Like 1