Just now, watchweasol said:

The only problem with bulk sets is the accumulation of bits that will never used as they are generic as a rule,  I have one or two I poke about in but never seem to have what I want,  gaskets , crowns, stems, click springs. Etc.

That's what I was trying to determine.  If there are some that are handy or if it is better to just order what is needed at the time.

it probably depends upon who is making up the assortment and where did it come from. At work when we were purchasing parts from somewhere the boss purchased an assortment of crowns and when they came there basically all the exact same thing. The definition of assortment seem to be lacking. On the other hand some watchmaker once gave us a bunch of stuff in one of the containers is an assortment of brand new American pocket watch staffs. I really would've liked of known where that came from and get a lot more of them. Because basically every single staff was new and they're all usable. Yes you had to physically look and see what you're looking for some of them were easy to spot like some of the Waltham's because their friction staff's. Or I think I used up all the Hamilton 992B staffs they were very easy to spot. So extremely interesting use will assortment from some place in the past.

So conceivably there are other useful assortments out there but often times they end up being not useful as they just don't have the right sizes or whatever it is you're trying to find.

• Like 1