Hello from Surrey, UK

Puk

Hi all!
After a few weeks of lurking and utilising your wonderful forum to aid me with my new hobby I’ve decided to take the plunge and sign up!

I’ve always had a love for watches, clocks and movements but never had the time to fit in such a hobby. I recently bought a couple of GSTP pocket watches and with this forum have successfully cleaned, lubricated, identified failure and rebuilt one to a working standard. It’s brought me such joy that I’ve bought another and felt I should join the forum and thank you guys for such a wonderfully helpful and friendly resource. 

im sure I’ll be posting up for some help in my future watch endeavours!

Cheers, Puk. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• My favorite is my first mechanical watch.  I received it as a present when I worked in Japan about 20 years ago (don't remember the exact year but it was between 2004 and 2006). It is a Seiko SAGN011 with the 4S27 movement and a titanium bracelet.  I unfortunately dropped it in a way that made it stop working.  I sent it to Seiko US for repair, they sent it to Japan without looking at it and the service and repair ended up costing $610 By the way one link in the bracelet is damaged and needs replacement and I have no idea how to find one.  If any of you know how it can be done it will avoid another expensive repair, right now my wife has a trip to Japan planned for the fall and we are thinking about having it repaired then. It is exactly like this one https://wholesaleshop.ru/product/134848968779
    • Yeah I have the cheap one.  But I think you are correct and they are reversible I hadn't tried turning them other but I see it in the picture (I am at work can't check the actual holders right now). I'll probably get better one at some point but right now there has been a lot of tools to buy to start so I am cheaping out on some things.  I am quite happy that I did get a microscope because working with a loupe was just not working for me at all. next big stuff coming is ultrasonic machine, cleaning solution (99.9% IPA and Naphta) and lubricant (Moebius 8000 and Molikote DX for now).  
    • I’ll be getting into them sometime this year, my grandfather’s pocket watch was one of the reasons I got into this rabbit hole. Funny enough last week whilst I was replacing a couple of batteries for the missus she done the old “I just remembered something “ and wandered off. A couple of minutes later she hand me her father’s and grandfather’s pocket watches. Apparently she got them from her brother years ag because I was into watches and thought I might like them. Not looking forward to looking at her grandmothers watch, solid gold and the head is pretty much the size of my little finger nail.   Tom
    • Hi Murks, I would just measure the old spring and order a generic one closest I can to size. Especially on thickness and height, length doesn’t matter so much as long as the difference isn’t huge.   Tom
    • As it’s Seiko have you tried a search in cousinsuk crystal section using the case reference?   Tom Had a Quick Look, 310W13GN00 looks like the part number you need but every listing I have found is a discontinued line. You might want to measure up the one you have and look through the sternkruetz catalog, here is a download link http://www.sternkreuz.de/accordion/assets/Sternkreuz_Gesamtkatalog G22.pdf   Tom