Unknown Tool Labeled Illinois Watch

Acquired this item in a lot from a departed watchmaker. It's labeled "Illinois Watch" (well known large American watch manufacturer through much of 20th c) so clearly it's watch-related. Can't find similar in any old catalog or on line and haven't ever seen anything similar in the wild.  The four prongs are springy and may be designed to hold something. The small round shaft does fit into the post on the base, but fit is loose, not the kind of close fit we expect in watches and most watch tools. Possibly these two pieces are not intended to fit together, and it's always possible parts are missing.

Anyone have any ideas before I relegate it to the scrap box? Purpose? Completeness?

20230403_074223.jpg

20230403_074159.jpg

20230403_074145.jpg

I'll add that I considered it might be a display stand of some kind but I think that's unlikely. It's marked "Patent Pending" on bottom of base and it's substantially built of well plated brass. Seems too substantial for a display piece and they also probably wouldn't have bothered to patent it.

A bit unusual (but not unheard of) to see tools made by manfacturers rather than by the several US watch tool companies active in first 3/4s  of the 1900's. What do we make if that, if anything?

3 hours ago, StickDog said:

I'll add that I considered it might be a display stand of some kind but I think that's unlikely. It's marked "Patent Pending" on bottom of base and it's substantially built of well plated brass. Seems too substantial for a display piece and they also probably wouldn't have bothered to patent it.

A bit unusual (but not unheard of) to see tools made by manfacturers rather than by the several US watch tool companies active in first 3/4s  of the 1900's. What do we make if that, if anything?

My first thoughts were for displaying purposes as no apparent function was immediately obvious. No reason why it shouldnt also have a patent, a design is a design if the creator thought it important enough to have one and it didn't encroach on a similar design. I've seen a few pocket watch displays from very simple to hang the bow from holders to extravagant display stands  but nothing quite like this. It does look like the two parts are meant to be together as the mating surfaces seem to marry up. Also the same finish and name on both parts. A shop display stand ? The curved shape of the tops of the prongs to facilitate the careful placement of a watch. Brass to minimise any scratches ? Is it large enough to hold a small pocket watch ?

15 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

Possibly an adapter so you could wear a pocket watch on a wrist strap?? Maybe that's crazy??

There were such adaptations Gary when or maybe before wristwatches were starting to become necessary and popular during the WW1. Too cumbersome and time consuming for an officer to have to unbutton his coat to remove his pocket watch to know the time for military operations.  A leather wrist pocket watch pouch would seem a more convenient adaptation. There is some suggestion that shrapnel damage to a watch on the wrist could cause more injury worn this way. Not sure if there was evidence to substantiate this theory.  And then came about wristwatches that could be more appropriately slipped under the cuff. I've read somewhere that the idea of wristwatches for men was introduced a while before this but was considered too feminine.  

7 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

There were such adaptations Gary when or maybe before wristwatches were starting to become necessary and popular during the WW1. Too cumbersome and time consuming for an officer to have to unbutton his coat to remove his pocket watch to know the time for military operations.  A leather wrist pocket watch pouch would seem a more convenient adaptation. There is some suggestion that shrapnel damage to a watch on the wrist could cause more injury worn this way. Not sure if there was evidence to substantiate this theory.  And then came about wristwatches that could be more appropriately slipped under the cuff. I've read somewhere that the idea of wristwatches for men was introduced a while before this but was considered too feminine.  

I don't believe the shrapnel theory, would I prefer a  super fast sliver of metal hitting a watch or my skin? If nothing else more surface area so less pressure, bullet resistant vests basically spread the force. 

15 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I don't believe the shrapnel theory, would I prefer a  super fast sliver of metal hitting a watch or my skin? If nothing else more surface area so less pressure, bullet resistant vests basically spread the force. 

Tbh it wasn't a great theory and i couldnt find anything that proved it. 

15 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I think it was to do with the damage sustained elsewhere on the body/ face from shrapnel spread from a direct hit to the pocket watch. I suppose in some circumstances a single bullet wound could be dealt with easier than multiple shrapnel wounds. Also less shrapnel kept that injury more localised to that individual and not his fighting buddies. 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

Sorry. Should have included a scale photo.

Way too small to display any pocket watch. Conceivably a micro lady's watch. Nut not a very good design for a  display piece IMHO. PW WW adapter? Just how do you see that working?

20230403_164859.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StickDog said:

Way too small to display any pocket watch. Conceivably a micro lady's watch. Nut not a very good design for a  display piece IMHO. PW WW adapter? Just how do you see that working?

20230403_164859.jpg

How big is the coin for us non Americans?

1 hour ago, StickDog said:

20230403_164859.jpg

I'm wondering why its in two parts. Do the prongs just sit in the base and lift out freely.  That would then seem like the base is just a holder and if it is a tool of sorts its just the top part.

1 hour ago, StickDog said:

20230403_164859.jpg

We haven't seen the underside of the base yet. 

The base is pretty small.  Smaller than a pocket watch, even a ladies size.  It would tip over easily.  And the long thin shaft and with the conical hole in the base it fits into (one assumes).  Seems like a complicated thing to make for no real purpose in a display stand.

Maybe a tool for poking holes in bands?  With a wooden file handle in the prongs.

Edited by xyzzy

Well, appreciate all the input. In the absence of a clear and certain answer I think the winning submission has to go to Old Hippie. Apparently its "one if those thingamajigs!" Thanks to all and sundry!

Edited by StickDog

2 minutes ago, StickDog said:

Well, appreciate all the input. In the absence of a clear and certain answer I think the winning submission has to go to Old Hippie. Apparently its "one if those thingamajigs!" Thanks to all and sundry!

I'm disappointed, I thought my idea of eggcup was best. 😄

• Like 1