Well, it was bound to happen... as I was working on my ST36, I was getting ready to put the click back together, and the spring that goes under the click went flying.  I can't seem to locate it anywhere.

I just looked on Esslinger.com, and can't seem to find anything called a Click spring... possibly that is not the real name.  Can someone help me so I can order an assortment of these as I'm sure they are all kinds of different sizes, etc.  What are these called, or does someone have a link for what I am looking for.  It is semi circular, with one arm that bends down to go into a small hole, and one arm that bends up to engage the click.

Much appreciated.

Have you tried sweeping a 5 foot radius area with a bar magnet. They usually turn up eventually. 

I learnt to bend my own click springs. Just use the thinnest guitar wire you can get and a pair of round nosed pliers. With a bit of practice, you can make one in under a minute.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kd8tzc said:

Well, it was bound to happen... as I was working on my ST36, I was getting ready to put the click back together, and the spring that goes under the click went flying.  I can't seem to locate it anywhere.

I just looked on Esslinger.com, and can't seem to find anything called a Click spring... possibly that is not the real name.  Can someone help me so I can order an assortment of these as I'm sure they are all kinds of different sizes, etc.  What are these called, or does someone have a link for what I am looking for.  It is semi circular, with one arm that bends down to go into a small hole, and one arm that bends up to engage the click.

Much appreciated.

Yes click spring is the correct name. A search on ebay will throw up plenty of options. But as HectorLooi has said the top E string of a guitar will set you on the path of the worthwhile skill of part making. 

4 hours ago, Waggy said:

Try these guys, they sell generic ones which you can use or tweak, link Here

Thanks... I ordered a set of the round ones and also the shepherd hook ones just to have.  Shipping was more than the parts, but so be it.  Do the major watch supplies companies not sell these?  I was hoping to find them at one of them as I have some other things I need to get.

8 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Have you tried sweeping a 5 foot radius area with a bar magnet. They usually turn up eventually. 

I learnt to bend my own click springs. Just use the thinnest guitar wire you can get and a pair of round nosed pliers. With a bit of practice, you can make one in under a minute.

I don't have one of those magic wands, but need to get one (any suggestions?).  I've found that normally these things show up once you order their replacement 🙂, so now that I did that, hopefully I will find it.  When this one went flying, it was different than everything else that has decided to seek freedom from me... I didn't hear it land... so I think that means it may have landed on something soft.  I do have carpet under me (throw rug) so maybe I can find it there.

I play the banjo, so I could try what you suggested.  I wouldn't think the strings would have any spring in them though.  I also don't have any broken strings, so that wouldn't work at this time. 

When I first started, I too got the spring assortment from Cousins. But I found that the springs never fit the ones you've lost and some alteration was always necessary. I found that it is easier and less painful to hold and manipulate a longer piece of wire. Shaping the ends those short, preform springs sometimes resulted in the sharp ends impaling my fingers.

For the magnet bar, I found a stationery shop that sells a rolled up bar of magnet, that is intended for sticking things to a magnetic whiteboard. I just unrolled the bar and stuck it to my fridge until it is needed again.

I sometimes use old guitar string if I need a round spring. The thinnest I have are 0.01, (0.25mm) which is sometimes too thick.

I bought the selection from Cousins https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/straight-springs-wristwatch

It's a good range of both round and flat springs, but you usually have to tweak them. I recently needed a thinner spring than I could find in the selection - so I got the closest and sanded it thinner with wet and dry paper.

Edited by mikepilk

11 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Any tips on how to bend them from guitar strings?  I did find some older wire, but trying to shape them is not working too well.  The first thing, I would think, is to cut it to the correct length, and then shape that to circular.  Any tips on what to use to help with the circular shape?

Edited by kd8tzc
typos

First, you need good round nosed pliers. I'm a retired dentist, so I have orthodontic pliers.

Next, don't cut the wire to length. Start with forming one end first, the work your way shaping down the length of the wire. The excess wire gives a handle for holding on to the wire. When you formed the whole length of the wire, cut off the excess and flattened the sharp ends.

Don't be afraid of discarding failed attempts and starting anew. Sometimes it's easier to start again than trying to tweak a little bend.

We have a special, 3 pronged plier for tweaking mid-wire bends. I've seen some on AliExpress that are very affordable, unlike branded orthodontic pliers. But I'm not sure of their quality.

-1759367183-362829225.thumb.jpg.6d3652f3029f7050ef440a051682cffe.jpg

I use round nose pliers, and despite them being fine points, they aren't pointy enough for most springs.

If I need a tighter coil, I find a screwdriver blade with the correct diameter, and wrap the wire round that. You don't need pliers, it's easy to do with fingers. Then trim the ends as required.

• Like 1