2x Barlow lens yes/no ?

2 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I set my table at 75cm high. But I have tiltable microscope mount and I tilt it back about 15 to 20 degrees, so that brings the eyepieces lower and I don't have to peer down the eyepiece. And when working on the movement, the tilt allows longer tools to fit under the lenses. The tilt also prevents the hands from blocking the view. I highly recommend getting a tiltable mount.

That would be very nice .........

empty-pocket.thumb.jpg.3b4c4eb5665df3565aab49cc3cc4f62b.jpg

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Endeavor said:

I'm not aware if my table with 76cm is particularly high? With the 0.5x barlow lens and a movement in the movement-holder underneath, adjusted sharp, the distance from table-top to the top-edge of the eye-pieces is 50cm. With my adjustable chair in the highest position, I can just look down the microscope but I've to sit (uncomfortably) on the edge of the chair.  The base of the microscope stand takes already 5cm (it all adds up!). Without the base, it would probably have been okay, but that's not how it is. So, with my current setup, the 0.5x Barlow doesn't work well for me (1.84mtr).

My table is the same height, 76cm.  I have the head on an articulated arm, which gives a height to the centre of the eyepieces as 42cm.  I can see why you have problems at 50cm. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Endeavor said:

I'm not aware if my table with 76cm is particularly high? With the 0.5x barlow lens and a movement in the movement-holder underneath, adjusted sharp, the distance from table-top to the top-edge of the eye-pieces is 50cm. With my adjustable chair in the highest position, I can just look down the microscope but I've to sit (uncomfortably) on the edge of the chair.  The base of the microscope stand takes already 5cm (it all adds up!). Without the base, it would probably have been okay, but that's not how it is. So, with my current setup, the 0.5x Barlow doesn't work well for me (1.84mtr).

You are relatively tall 6'1" ish . A cushion on the seat of your chair ?

1 hour ago, tomh207 said:

Fantastic idea Tom

28 minutes ago, Endeavor said:

That would be very nice .........

empty-pocket.thumb.jpg.3b4c4eb5665df3565aab49cc3cc4f62b.jpg

I know how you feel mate, i spent a small fortune on this hobby last month.

46 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

A cushion on the seat of your chair ?

I came with another idea 😆

442356691_tableseat.thumb.jpeg.b27743dc5b96b624cfa5e83ae36ca9e1.jpeg

Anyhow, a long story short; so far I'm very happy without a Barlow lens and without one, everything is at a perfect height. Currently I can't see the cost / benefit doing all kinds of trick just to be able to use a 0.5x Barlow lens. With my current setup the lens doesn't work and that is, as far as I'm concerned, it.

However, I'll keep all your gratefully received suggestions in mind, this in case I stumble over another setup option.

So, a BIG thank you 😉

Edited by Endeavor
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I set my table at 75cm high. But I have tiltable microscope mount and I tilt it back about 15 to 20 degrees, so that brings the eyepieces lower and I don't have to peer down the eyepiece. And when working on the movement, the tilt allows longer tools to fit under the lenses. The tilt also prevents the hands from blocking the view. I highly recommend getting a tiltable mount.

No offers to show us your workspace then Hector. Did you conveniently forget or avoid it. Come on your have 3 tables in there, who of us has 3 tables in our watchrooms. If its special we want to see it matey. 

9 hours ago, Endeavor said:

The base of the microscope stand takes already 5cm (it all adds up!). 

That's the difference. If my scope were 5cm higher, I'd need to adjust my seat up to be able to use it. Does the base create any ergonomic issues with your hands? It seems like a small 5cm shelf around the movement holder would be pretty annoying and set up some awkward wrist angles. Especially if you're having a long work session.

1 hour ago, spectre6000 said:

Does the base create any ergonomic issues with your hands? It seems like a small 5cm shelf around the movement holder would be pretty annoying and set up some awkward wrist angles. Especially if you're having a long work session.

If one were to work continuously under the microscope, perhaps yes. But I'm not, that was not the purpose of me buying the microscope.

Edited by Endeavor

4 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

No offers to show us your workspace then Hector. Did you conveniently forget or avoid it. Come on your have 3 tables in there, who of us has 3 tables in our watchrooms. If its special we want to see it matey. 

Eh, me but they are all covered with watchmaking tools and computer stuff, oh electronics as well. Much clutter, I do need to put up some shelves to make space to work.

Tom

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

Eh, me but they are all covered with watchmaking tools and computer stuff, oh electronics as well. Much clutter, I do need to put up some shelves to make space to work.

Tom

I'm  catching up, i have two and a chest of drawers full of stock. I just love seeing how other folk arrange their spaces. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I'm  catching up, i have two and a chest of drawers full of stock. I just love seeing how other folk arrange their spaces. 

I would not call mine “arranged” at the moment Rich 😂

Tom

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

It's still a works in progress. It was my parent's room and it still has some of their old stuff and junk accumulated over the years.

• Like 1