2x Barlow lens yes/no ?

6 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

The problem with microscope selection is it has to be the right microscope. It should have a wide enough field of view and a great enough depth of field that basically can take the place of a loop. Often times the microscopes end up with limited depth of field or very shallow working distances and then you really can't work under them or you really can't see What you need to see.

Sorry, I should have been more precise, By 'microscope' I meant what we have been discussing - a 7x to 45x zoom stereo with good working distance.

On 3/21/2023 at 7:28 AM, Endeavor said:

Assuming that you are right in saying that the "most of us" are using a magnification range of 3.5x - 22.5x, than there would be no need for me increase beyond 45x .... Yes/No?

My microscope came with both 0.5 and 2.0 Barlow lenses. I’ve never used the 2.0. The 0.5 is essential IMHO to give the working distance to comfortably handle tools. 
Viewing from the side (using a Jeweling tool etc) is about the only time I use a loupe. To minimize loupe use I sometimes use a 90-45-45 glass prism (as a mirror) to inspect the side of a movement. I also obtained a cheap USB microscope that I can lay on its side and display on a monitor. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2023 at 2:06 PM, mikepilk said:

So lots of cables. I screwed a couple of 4 gang extension leads to the back face of the desk. Run the cables over the back, wrapped together = nice and tidy (unless you pull the desk from the wall and look at the back 😯

My "one cable" modification; within a few days upon the arrival of the new scope and ring-light, the warranty is already lost and the usual: "don't try this at home" 😉

IMG_2611.thumb.jpeg.3cdc05d6118f67bb135922ebc5cda18f.jpeg

IMG_2609.thumb.jpeg.1433216ca020778ed5301170beae7caf.jpeg

IMG_2612.thumb.jpeg.6fab9239593201fae4f93b3994e301bf.jpeg

IMG_2613.thumb.jpeg.3f49d0a7917ab054e0dce2d8e786e83d.jpeg

IMG_2614.thumb.jpeg.4032e911b63e39bbb24439b1ddadcb02.jpeg

IMG_2615.thumb.jpeg.089adb31066b15d6d9a9578bd954481e.jpeg

IMG_2616.thumb.jpeg.7c7da0c4e676d4739b4885d95d632c1f.jpeg

The ring-light takes away some of the working height, so yes, a 0.5x Barlow lens is next. Gonna-be awesome ! 🤩

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Endeavor said:

My "one cable" modification; within a few days upon the arrival of the new scope and ring-light, the warranty is already lost and the usual: "don't try this at home" 😉

The ring-light takes away some of the working height, so yes, a 0.5x Barlow lens is next. Gonna-be awesome ! 🤩

Nice job.

Of course you have those tiny 2 pin mains plugs with thin leads. In the UK we have much bigger 3 pin plugs and thicker cables (with 240V we can draw bigger amperage). So even more to hide.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

There doesn't seem to be any middle ground though

Yes, there is and on top of that double isolated, like many of your home appliances.

3 hours ago, mikepilk said:

In the UK we have much bigger 3 pin plugs and thicker cables

Yes, you guys are blessed; a switch in the wall-socket, with some luck a switch AND a fuse in the plug, this next to all the other fuses and switches 😁.

BTW, when I was living in Scotland (80's), one could buy fuse-wire and wind your own main-fuse. If it blew often, you just give it a bit more wire 😅  ....... those were the days !

Edited by Endeavor

20 minutes ago, Endeavor said:

Yes, there is and on top of that double isolated, like many of your home appliances.

Yes, you guys are blessed; a switch in the wall-socket, with some luck a switch AND a fuse in the plug, this next to all the other fuses and switches 😁.

BTW, when I was living in Scotland (80's), one could buy resistance-wire and wind your own main-fuse. If it blew often, you just give it a bit more wire 😅  ....... those were the days !

Haha, I was talking about visors not electricity. 

• 2 weeks later...

Received the 0.5x Barlow lens, the optics are fine but as I was afraid for, I either need a neck-extension, a small step-ladder or a lower table. In my case with the current setup, not very useful 😞

Edited by Endeavor

1 hour ago, Endeavor said:

Received the 0.5x Barlow lens, the optics are fine but as I was afraid for, I either need a neck-extension, a small step-ladder or a lower table. In my case with the current setup, not very useful 😞

How about a height-adjustable table!? It is very convenient to be able to adjust the table height to suit exactly the work to be done (with or without the microscope). Another investment yes, but there are often plenty of used tables to be had.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

How about a height-adjustable table!? It is very convenient to be able to adjust the table height to suit exactly the work to be done (with or without the microscope). Another investment yes, but there are often plenty of used tables to be had.

I've considered making one watchie but i wasn't sure about the fact of not being able to put your legs under the table. And how uncomfortable the seating position would be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VWatchie said:

I just finished setting up 3 tables from Ikea. 2 of them can be set to whatever height you desire and the 3rd one has a crank that lets you adjust the height manually. There are a few motorized versions too but they were almost double the price. And they even come with a 10 year warranty (whatever that means).

So I set one for microscope work, one at shoulder level for general work and the adjustable one for doing clock repair.

I'm itching to get another adjustable one for lathe work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I just finished setting up 3 tables from Ikea. 2 of them can be set to whatever height you desire and the 3rd one has a crank that lets you adjust the height manually. There are a few motorized versions too but they were almost double the price. And they even come with a 10 year warranty (whatever that means).

So I set one for microscope work, one at shoulder level for general work and the adjustable one for doing clock repair.

I'm itching to get another adjustable one for lathe work.

How is the seating position of a low table Hector ? I cant seem to get my head around the idea. The distance between your legs fitting under the table and your eye height would always remain the same regardless off any height of table. And as the microscope eyepieces are further from the bench top as Endeavor says a neck extension to heighten your eye level is the perfect option. I can only imagine 🤔 standing to view through the scope, legs straddling the sides of the table ( which sounds really uncomfortable) or a chiropractor with arms like Arnie to stretch your neck a few inches. If you have a long torso then fine just an adjustable chair to get you up to the full height of your legs just fitting under the table.  

The focal distance (from tip of eyepieces to bottom of microscope stand) is less than the distance of your eyes to your lap. So it's like raising the base of your microscope up to your eye level. As long as it's a plain table top without a drawer underneath, there should be plenty of legroom under the table.

• Like 2

Make friends with some office people. I assume the UK isn't that far off the US in terms of all the offices everywhere going remote, and lightly used office furniture, etc. going for cheap to free. Adjustable height desks should be able to be found. My wife's company expanded and doubled their office space about two weeks before everything shut down in 2020, and they're unloading all of their office space as everyone is now working from home. All the furniture and everything is going and gone. 

That said, I'm curious about the rest of your setup. I have essentially the same scope (different stand, but same head, etc., so same net height at the eyepieces), and I'm a short guy (5'5" or about 8 bananas for the metric folk), and I feel like it's the perfect height to sit up straight (as in good posture) and have all the working distance. This is with my desk chair (standard fare) and an old kitchen table (standard fare) or my desk (same height).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spectre6000 said:

That said, I'm curious about the rest of your setup. I have essentially the same scope (different stand, but same head, etc., so same net height at the eyepieces), and I'm a short guy (5'5" or about 8 bananas for the metric folk), and I feel like it's the perfect height to sit up straight (as in good posture) and have all the working distance. This is with my desk chair (standard fare) and an old kitchen table (standard fare) or my desk (same height).

I'm the same - same 'scope, different stand, 0.5x Barlow. I have a 'standard' office desk and height adjustable chair.  I have to have the chair raised up, but I find the working height perfect. 

Do they have very high tables in Denmark @Endeavor ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

The focal distance (from tip of eyepieces to bottom of microscope stand) is less than the distance of your eyes to your lap. So it's like raising the base of your microscope up to your eye level. As long as it's a plain table top without a drawer underneath, there should be plenty of legroom under the table.

👍 maybe i'm still missing something then, how is an adjustable height table an advantage over an adjustable height chair 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Once I get the heights of the tables set correctly, I can scoot around from one table to another without having to constantly adjust the height of my chair. I can maintain my posture and reduce fatigue. And I don't like working in a half squat position one minute and then teetering in a high chair the next.

Haha. I don't know. Maybe it's a dentist thing. We like to bring our work to a comfortable height while keeping our backs straight all the time. 🤔

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

Once I get the heights of the tables set correctly, I can scoot around from one table to another without having to constantly adjust the height of my chair. I can maintain my posture and reduce fatigue. And I don't like working in a half squat position one minute and then teetering in a high chair the next.

Haha. I don't know. Maybe it's a dentist thing. We like to bring our work to a comfortable height while keeping our backs straight all the time. 🤔

Ah sounds convenient if you have the space. So when we getting to see your watch room then Hector ?

11 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Do they have very high tables in Denmark

I'm not aware if my table with 76cm is particularly high? With the 0.5x barlow lens and a movement in the movement-holder underneath, adjusted sharp, the distance from table-top to the top-edge of the eye-pieces is 50cm. With my adjustable chair in the highest position, I can just look down the microscope but I've to sit (uncomfortably) on the edge of the chair.  The base of the microscope stand takes already 5cm (it all adds up!). Without the base, it would probably have been okay, but that's not how it is. So, with my current setup, the 0.5x Barlow doesn't work well for me (1.84mtr).

Edited by Endeavor

23 minutes ago, Endeavor said:

I'm not aware if my table with 76cm is particularly high? With the 0.5x barlow lens and a movement in the movement-holder underneath, adjusted sharp, the distance from table-top to the top-edge of the eye-pieces is 50cm. With my adjustable chair in the highest position, I can just look down the microscope but I've to sit (uncomfortably) on the edge of the chair.  The base of the microscope stand takes already 5cm (it all adds up!). Without the base, it would probably have been okay, but that's not how it is. So, with my current setup, the 0.5x Barlow doesn't work well for me (1.84mtr).

Maybe mine works for me as I have it setup on an articulated arm so no base to get in the way the movement holder is on the desk.

Tom

I set my table at 75cm high. But I have tiltable microscope mount and I tilt it back about 15 to 20 degrees, so that brings the eyepieces lower and I don't have to peer down the eyepiece. And when working on the movement, the tilt allows longer tools to fit under the lenses. The tilt also prevents the hands from blocking the view. I highly recommend getting a tiltable mount.

• Like 1