Newb

gpraceman

Hello All,

I am just getting started in this hobby.  I like checking out restoration type videos on YouTube and came across one on a watch restoration.  I was rather amazed at the process of disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, oiling, case restoration, and all and the beauty and complexity of the movements.  That piqued my interest.  I dug out my grandfather's Elgin automatic that had been sitting in my nightstand drawer for over 20 years and thought that it would be great to service that old watch (maybe from the 50's or 60's).  It still runs pretty well, but who knows if it has ever been serviced.  I put a new leather band on it (hate those stretchy metal bands).  Don't worry, I will not be using that as my first project.  I want to build up a lot of confidence before I tackle working on that family heirloom.

I have tools on order.  I found a watchmakers kit, from Cousins UK, that was recommended on the r/watchrepair Reddit, to get some basic starter tools and not break the bank.  However, I did buy some good tweezers (Dumont) and a screwdriver set (Bergeon).  I did not want to cheap out on those tools.  Some things I intend to 3D print (movement holders, barrel closer tool, etc.).

I do have my first movement on order.  It's a new 6497 clone.  After that, I would like to build a Seiko "DressKX" with a new NH36 movement.  I did pickup a lot of 3 vintage watches (paid about $12 each).  I figure that I can learn a lot working on those.  If I can actually get them to run well, that would be bonus.  Two of them (Elgin and Stellaris) fired right up, with a bit of a wind, so that is promising.  The third (Mido) seems to have a pallet fork issue, so that one may be iffy.  The pallet fork looks to be tilted, with the entrance jewel above the escape wheel.  Not sure if the pallet bridge is secured down properly.  Hopefully, not a broken pivot.  The Elgin is missing the automatic mechanism.  Not sure how hard that will be find.  The case on that watch is in horrible shape, but the movement is pristine and gorgeous.

I also ordered some partial bottles of oils off of eBay.  Moebius 9010, HP1300, 9415, 8200, and 9504.  Still have to complete my Esslinger order, which will include some silicone gasket grease.

I'll be starting off cleaning by hand.  Though, I wonder if I can put the movement into jars and use my tumbler to spin them to get a more thorough cleaning.  I use that tumbler for cleaning brass rifle and pistol cases.

GrandPa1.jpg

watches.jpg

watches2.jpg

watches3.jpg

watches4.jpg

7 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. Plenty for you to do there.  Post a picture of your tumbles it might just work so we need to see it. Cheers

I abandoned the tumbler idea.  Got lots of feedback on the r/watchrepair Reddit that it would be a bad idea to have the parts tumbling around.  I have another concept that I am pursuing.  Just ordered the parts.  Once I get them all together, I'll post the setup.