4 hours ago, Clockwatching247 said:

I’m trying to get my rolling ball Clock to work, the mainspring and fusee don’t seem to be moving when wound. Any ideas?

I'm sure everyone knows what a rolling ball clock is but just in case somebody new it's nice to give a picture of it because they're rather interesting devices.

• Like 1

Hi here’s few pics, I know that the wire on the fusee barrel  should be straight and aligned -it’s almost impossible to keep it on the barrel-I was hoping it would sit better when it ran 😳when I got the clock the wire was loose and all over the barrels -not wrapped. When I wind the mainspring barrel the wire is tight between the two  ready for the spring to slowly pull the wire over-but it doesn’t move. The fusee barrel appears to be stuck-it will wind the wire up but won’t rotate the other direction to allow the main spring barrel to pull it. Apologies for the poor description 

0527CA67-9AC2-4944-9A67-1377CC84D49B.jpeg

8D76059E-00BB-4D89-B148-375FB616327E.jpeg

1334BD9B-0760-4BD5-844E-B1A77FEFC542.jpeg

A little bit about the clock for those that haven’t seen one before.. The pic is of the clock without its glass hood-it looks nicer than that 😁. It’s a Congreve rolling ball clock. The ball rolls from one side of the platform to the other every 15seconds instead of a pendulum. It hits a lever which then tips the platform to allow the ball to roll in the opposite direction. They are notoriously difficult to set up and don’t keep good time😂 it has lots of little weights and rods to adjust the levers and platform, and a little spirit level at the front as it has to be completely flat to work.   It’s a lovely item-I just wish I could get it to work!! 

Sorry-there’s more.. The clock doesn’t have a click spring to keep it in place and the main spring is about 2”” wide-the ratchet whelk also doesn’t have anything to keep it in place. I’ma little nervous about completely winding it as all of that power will be on the-not great click and it’s screw😳

2 hours ago, Clockwatching247 said:

I know that the wire on the fusee barrel  should be straight and aligned -it’s almost impossible to keep it

I'm wondering if somebody replace the wire With something it's not suitable?

2 hours ago, Clockwatching247 said:

They are notoriously difficult to set up and don’t keep good time

Good that you already know that so we don't have to mention that aspect. I've even heard things like the ball has to be super clean and so does the bed or that can be an issue in other words dust would not be a good thing.

Hi it sounds as though you already understand the pit fall with these clocks. The fusee spring is very powerful and treat it with respect. If there is no spring on the click it’s not advisable to put it under power, so firstly get a new click spring filtted ensuring the thing is safe under power as a sudden power surge could damage the clock. So the clock was in a non running state when you got it with the cable all ravelled up, what I think you have is bog standard Bowden cable not the proper cable which from memory is a little more flexible. Bowden cable is stiffer which I think is the reason it will not wind on to the fusee correctly.  Are we correct in thinking you intend to fix it your self ?.    Cheers

Hello, thanks for your replies. Yes I was hoping to fix it myself, but I am a beginner so it may be beyond me. I don’t think they had click springs-all of the pictures I’ve seen don’t have them. I was at the BHI last week and their, far superior,  rolling ball clock didn’t have a click spring either-that said I don’t trust the flimsy click by itself. What is the correct wire called please? How is it attached inside the barrels? Many thanks 

6 hours ago, Clockwatching247 said:

I was at the BHI last week

Yes that's definitely an interesting place to visit.

Here's a video of a clock which is interesting because you can get the plans for. There may be useful information in the book

https://youtu.be/6h6Ic5RCIq0

6 hours ago, Clockwatching247 said:

Yes I was hoping to fix it myself, but I am a beginner so it may be beyond me.

Yes I think you might find the book helpful he does show how to make one he shows all the steps he also shows all the parts it might be helpful. Since you can go to the BHI they should have one in the library Don't know if they allow people a borrow books of the library or not? But if I remember right they did have a room where you could read the books there.

10 hours ago, Clockwatching247 said:

When I wind the mainspring barrel the wire is tight between the two  ready for the spring to slowly pull the wire over-but it doesn’t move. The fusee barrel appears to be stuck-it will wind the wire up but won’t rotate the other direction to allow the main spring barrel to pull it. Apologies for the poor description 

I think what you're describing is exactly what is supposed to happen. Unwound the Cable should be entirely on the mainspring barrel with A very tiny amount of poll to keep the whole thing from falling off for its unwound just enough to keep it in place. Then you wind the fusee which has the internal clicks which you may not Be able to see at one end. So you should Be able to wind it all over to the fusee but I wouldn't do that with the amount of power you have if it's not running should Just wind a little bit. Then the whole thing will just sit there and do absolutely nothing at all unless the clock itself is running.

So it's actually sounds like it's all working except the course your picture sews the cable around the fusee barrel where it's not supposed to be.