avia 15 jewel AS1002

8 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Your welcome.  I general oiling one movement is the same as oiling other movements, unless it's something special.  Light oil for fast moving parts and heavier oil for slow moving parts. 

thanks again. i have a list that i have used in the past. also been reading info on oil on here to get the latest info..

AS984 / 1002 is a nice basic sub-seconds time only manual wind movement so about as uncomplicated as it gets. You're highly unlikely to find a service manual for it but all you need to do is to follow a logical system of work, work slowly, don't force anything, and take pictures of every step of the strip down as reference for when you put it back together. Also make sure you let down the power before you start, and it's good practice to remove the balance cock and balance and put it somewhere safe at the start of the works, that way it's less likely to be damaged.

One thing to note (and I have just checked this on a 984 in my parts stash) is that both the crown wheel screw and the ratchet wheel screw are reverse (left hand) threaded, so turn clockwise to undo. Otherwise there should be no real surprises.

I have attached a copy of the BHI guide to lubrication which should be more than adequate for your movement and is a good starting point for most clocks and watches in the absence of anything more specific.

If you get stuck on anything just ask on here.

BTI-The_Practical_Lubrication_of_Clocks_and_Watches.pdf

Edited by Marc
typo, I think I may need new batteries in my keyboard :-)
  • Like 1

Let me know how you get on! I have (I think) the same movement in a Timor WWW that's next in line on my bench. I think as Marc says, hopefully pretty straighforward. Have you folloed Mark's courses on watchfix.com? I think with the knowledge there, you should be good to go. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Swan said:

Let me know how you get on! I have (I think) the same movement in a Timor WWW that's next in line on my bench. I think as Marc says, hopefully pretty straighforward. Have you folloed Mark's courses on watchfix.com? I think with the knowledge there, you should be good to go. 

I have watched a quite a few of his videos. Also worked on Seiko auto's. Citizen & walthan. Not done any for a year or two. But when I have time. Would like to do more!

1 hour ago, Marc said:

AS984 / 1002 is a nice basic sub-seconds time only manual wind movement so about as uncomplicated as it gets. You're highly unlikely to find a service manual for it but all you need to do is to follow a logical system of work, work slowly, don't force anything, and take pictures of every step of the strip down as reference for when you put it back together. Also make sure you let down the power before you start, and it's good practice to remove the balance cock and balance and put it somewhere safe at the start of the works, that way it's less likely to be damaged.

One thing to note (and I have just checked this on a 984 in my parts stash) is that both the crown wheel screw and the ratchet wheel screw are reverse (left hand) threaded, so turn clockwise to undo. Otherwise there should be no real surprises.

I have attached a copy of the BHI guide to lubrication which should be more than adequate for your movement and is a good starting point for most clocks and watches in the absence of anything more specific.

If you get stuck on anything just ask on here.

BTI-The_Practical_Lubrication_of_Clocks_and_Watches.pdfUnavailable

Thanks Marc. Very helpful.