What is this stake used for?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/31/2022 at 9:15 AM, mikepilk said:

My set has a similar one. Every time I open the box I wonder what it could be used for. The end is brass. I assume it's for pushing something, can't think what.

1.thumb.jpg.15288f59b046bd5467cff8a37d3a3ae8.jpg

A friction fit wheel perhaps? I’ve used my hand fitting tools for that. If there was a cove in the end that looks like it fit those kinds of wheels I’d be more convinced but the white one looks flat or rounded…

7AEC06F0-65B4-40D6-B6A0-FD98E76F295A.jpeg

8 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Do you need a staking tool for that? Seriously?

The wheel needs to be friction fit to a to a tiny post, perfectly level and with the proper shake to keep the train free but not so much it loses contact or binds with the tiny sweep second pinion gear, and without breaking the post or deforming the wheel or hole in the wheel…good on ya if you can freehand that one- I’ll take all the help I can get 😂

The wheel pictured upthread is from a Rolex 59sc so to your point things fit with more precision. I recently did this Smiths Empire and outside of hairsprings it was one of the more fiddly jobs I’ve found…

863D9CD2-4B41-486A-8059-0FF8A803AF5D.jpeg

Edited by rehajm