Bulova mis-marked dial? Or somebody changed it?

Hmmm.  Movement swap, maybe?  If the original was a similar calibre, with the same date function and with dial feet in the same locations, perhaps the original movement had too much wrong with it.  If that's the case, maybe the prior repair person either could not locate the exact same kind of movement to replace, or did not look very hard, but they were able to get this one and knew that it would work and need minimal alteration.  That said, 23 jewels isn't too bad at all, but I agree that it causes a discrepancy that wants rectifying.

EDIT: I just thought of this - it could also be that the original dial had turned to utter rubbish over time, and this was the dial that the owner or repair-person could get hold of that would fit.

Edited by KarlvonKoln
addition
  • Like 1

Is there a number printed/stamped on the inside of the case back? There should also be a two digit alpha numeric date code on the case back and on the movement (near the crown wheel I believe on this movement).

The dial matches the 1964 (Bulova M4 date code) President 'H', as does the case. But the movement should be a 30 jewel 10CRACD. If there is a 2+ year difference between the date code on the movement vs. the case, then the movement is likely not original to the case.

Edited by GuyMontag

23 minutes ago, GuyMontag said:

Is there a number printed/stamped on the inside of the case back? There should also be a two digit alpha numeric date code on the case back and on the movement (near the crown wheel I believe on this movement).

The dial matches the 1964 (Bulova M4 date code) President 'H', as does the case. But the movement should be a 30 jewel 10CRACD. If there is a 2+ year difference between the date code on the movement vs. the case, then the movement is likely not original to the case.

This is the case #

Case #J187588  M6

If I open it up again, I will look for the date code. 

I am putting this on ebay to sell and will give full disclosure about this. It is running great on the bench appears to be in great condition.  I have not serviced it, however.

Edited by LittleWatchShop