Elgin 539 with replaced balance cock and balance complete from Elgin 554

I picked up an Elgin 539 military in a coin case with that watch bench I found locally with a bunch of stuff in it.  Great find, but the balance wheel and cock was missing.

After watching ebay and researching I surmised that the Elgin 554 used the same balance staff and for some reason I thought that the balance cock was equivalent, so I found a 554 pretty cheap on ebay (far cheaper than a 539!!).

I cleaned the 539 and installed the parts from the 554.  It is running, but fast...even with the regulator on full slow.

I realize that it was chancy to do this substitution, but my options were limited.

At this point, I can add timing washers to slow it down.

Another option...perhaps...in the pile of stuff I hauled home from Olathe KS, I think a nabbed a balance complete for the 539 (no balance cock, however).  Maybe I install that balance instead of the one from the 554.

I am all ears...thoughts??

2022-09-26 11_23_21-Window.png

2022-09-26 11_23_39-Window.png

5 hours ago, dadistic said:

Why not try the balance complete?  As long as you are careful, I don't think theres anything to lose in doing so.

Cheers!

Yeah, I think that is an easy thing to try.

Still runs like a bunny rabbit!

---------------

OK, timing washers brought it in tune.

Edited by LittleWatchShop