I am getting interested more in making tools

So as the title says, I want to start making tools, out of the de Carle and Fried books (or any other you can suggest) would be a good place to start?

tool reccomendations to either make tools or for tools you would like to see/have

cheers

Tom

3 hours ago, tomh207 said:

tool reccomendations to either make tools or for tools you would like to see/have

I think a lot of this depends on what is your skill set at making things. If you understand how to use a lathe and a milling machine for instance then you can make anything you want if you grasp how. All the exotic tools that we normally can't afford conceivably you could make depending upon your skill set.

then the problem with your question is a lot of people I suspect probably don't even grasp what exactly you are asking. Now another place where you look at tools to be made is early watch schools where the students were given jobs to make things to learn hand eye coordination.

not finding the link I want but here's something what you're looking for

http://timebuilder.blogspot.com/2009/09/making-your-own-watchmakers-screw-head.html

which are looking for for stuff like this is people who are making watches. We are making a watch shall find that you don't have all the tools you need or definitely can't afford all of those tools then you get stuck making your own tools. So typically are not going to find somebody making tweezers for instance so just by those.

okay here's another example noticed with the person says this is one of the first things you make. It's because they want to teach the students how to work with tools so then typically make stuff like this

https://khwcc.blogspot.com/2011/08/humble-screw-polisher.html

although there is one school that at some point in time in their three years there with their they will make watch so basically during three years a go through and make a nice watch. But other schools though make tools conceivably some school make both dear there long enough

okay found what I was looking for he tells you how to make the tool

https://watchmaking.weebly.com/screwhead-polisher.html

then I just picked this example because I knew that these were being made by people it was something fast to find for you

On 8/31/2022 at 6:17 PM, dadistic said:

The Elgin Watchmaker's College PDF has a bunch of tool projects in it, including a different version of a screw polishing tripod. I've attached a copy for you to peruse. 

ELGIN-Watchmakers-College.pdf 1.6 MB · 10 downloads

This is a wonderful document!  In the stuff I have been doing (particularly staffs) I struggle with the metal hardness issues.  Many comments in this document about heating to straw red, cherry red, blue, etc.  Is there a "Metallurgy for Watchmakers? book?????

Well, this was written for model engineers, but it has all the pertinent info.

Hardening.Tempering.and.Heat.Treatment_Tubal.Cain_Argus-Books_Workshop2.pdf

There is also this web page, about blueing screws.

https://watchesbysjx.com/2015/02/explained-how-to-blue-steel-screws-the-traditional-way-with-a-flame-and-lots-of-patience.html

Edited by dadistic

On 9/1/2022 at 12:17 AM, dadistic said:

The Elgin Watchmaker's College PDF has a bunch of tool projects in it, including a different version of a screw polishing tripod. I've attached a copy for you to peruse. 

ELGIN-Watchmakers-College.pdf 1.6 MB · 11 downloads

Good document dadistic.  I'm not sure about being called an embryo watchmaker, might be a new term we could use for newbies lol. And being advised of the impracticability of my ambition to be a watchmaker may, i say may just persist me off . 🤣

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
Needed to work my way around auto bleep 🙂