Missing Spring?

RogerH

So, a friend has bought a nice looking 1930s German wall clock. The standard R&A Vienna style. He asked me to get it going but when I went to fit the pendulum there was no suspension spring. I only managed a few pics but am I missing something? I can't see how this clock would work without a pendulum but no idea how it would fit. Hopefully he'll bring it round so I can have proper look but any thoughts would be much appreciated. 

20220827_215700.jpg

20220827_215707.jpg

20220827_215656.jpg

Hi  The fact that it has a crutch confirms the point that it should have a pendulum and suspension but looking at the escapement pictures where it fits is an other thing. need a few more pics of the escapement block and fittings, and one of the clock front.  A check on th front for a makers mark.

You are missing the block that screws onto the balance cock. Does the dial have a little hole above the 12 on the dial because if it has then it will be a Brocot suspension block. See photos, if not it will still be like the photo but not with the long adjuster. 

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

• Like 1

I've never seen screws like the ones holding the movement together before.  Any chance the pendulum is carried in another section of the clock and the movement just racks in aligning on those screws.  It also has a very generously relieved crutch.  Possibly for better alignment of two parts that you may not have a hand on at the time of installation.  That would also reduce the possibility of damaging it or unintentionally affecting its rate.

Just spit ballin.

Shane 

• 1 year later...

I just picked up a clock with an identical movement at an antique store in France.  I puzzled over the same issue. I think that Shane above is correct. My clock is missing the suspension spring, but the movement works perfectly.  The movement slips into the wooden case and is held by a brass bracket. At the top of the bracket is a protrusion that has both a slit  and a small hole for a pin.  The pendulum would seem to fit perfectly with a small suspension spring (which I don’t have yet) that fits into the slit in that protrusion. When the movement is attached to the bracket, the crutch should align with the pendulum.