KUNDO Anniversary Clock doesn't work

Zuzka56

Hi,

I got a beautiful 400 day clock; the only problem was the tension wire was broken. Easy, right? I ordered a 3-pack in the proper thickness, carefully replaced and... It is not working!!! I tried to level it, adjusted the beat, put a touch of oil... Not only that it stops after about 5 minutes, the hands don't move at all! Any idea what might be wrong and what, other than pulling it all apart (with no guarantee of putting it back together correctly). And would pulling it apart even help with this issue? Thank you very much for any help.

p.s. I also have an electronic Kundo that I'm trying to make work, but that is a story for a different topic.

Edited by Zuzka56
typo

These clocks work best on very little oil and it has to be in the right places and a good oil. The main thing with these clocks is getting the clock in beat, slight movement fitting the new suspension spring and you will have trouble. As Bod has suggested photos are needed. This book which is the bible to repairing these clocks is a must, Horolovar 400 Day Anniversary clock repair guide book 10Th Edition by Charles Terwilliger, look around for best price. 

I forgot to mention you are going to need a clock mainspring winder if you intend to repair the clock properly. 

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yes, definitely worth stripping and inspection and possibly bushing. As for oil I use D5 on the pivots due to slow running, it’s thinner than D4 so lasts that bit longer before thickening. For that info from one of my mentors. 
My personal 400 day was a sod to get running, even using the book and the correct 3C torsion spring I still had to change that spring to a thinner one as it just kept running fast.