Bulova 11B Mainspring Barrel wobbles

I am in the process of servicing and restoring a Bulova 11BL manual wind movement. The movement looked to be in excellent condition when I opened the case and it ran without problems.

I'm reassembling it currently and I've noticed the mainspring barrel wobbles significantly even when the bridge is screwed down. The bridge is fully seated (I've checked many times) and there is no debris or anything around the mainspring at all. 

I don't recall it being this way when I disassembled it, but I'm at a loss as to what's causing it. I did pull the mainspring apart to clean and grease it, but it seems to be fully seated with no issues that I can see.

To my eyes there appears to be no wear at all on the mainplate or the barrel bridge, certainly not enough to warrant such a sloppy fit.

I've included pics of the mainspring, plate, and bridge. Here is a link to a video showing how drastic the slop is: https://imgur.com/a/v4P9CIP

I must be doing something pretty dumb and simple but I can't figure out what!

Thanks in advance.

PXL_20220728_023214309.thumb.jpg.d463e1799a72ab58b5f12c8cf68fd98e.jpgPXL_20220728_023142151.thumb.jpg.7b8d7a86d68d517c272508250e56439c.jpgPXL_20220728_023105483.thumb.jpg.3e40462b23186993b80b9699341712d8.jpgPXL_20220728_023020743.thumb.jpg.fa49b6d5387547520ab5886f311c7e11.jpgPXL_20220728_022949298.thumb.jpg.669355a6f1b487403074c7ac362e5e4a.jpg

PXL_20220728_023235078.jpg

eyeball the barrel pivot (both sides) as you 'rock' it. If you can see movement then the pivot is worn.

Barrel pivots usually wear in one side, usually opposite the centre wheel. So if you apply pressure on the outside edge it will rock but it may not rock as much at 90deg on either side.

Anilv

Edited by anilv

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• does anyone knows what type of battery this digital Watch takes?  
    • Hello good watch folk ,I  just fancied a light hearted discussion after my head was starting to spin over Epilame 😅. Specifically I'm meaning the sale of vintage watches, say nothing past the 1980s market. The stuff we see on ebay and other similar sites and found at carboots, curio shops etc. And are  we thinking its reaching a peak volume ?  Younger generations clearing out passed parents and grandparents possessions.  The younger folk are not as sentimental as the old fogies ( I'm now nearly at an age that i used to think was old fogie age ). When might it have started ?  i often wish i discovered the hobby much much sooner when selling your grandfathers pocket watch at a boot sale for a few quid was just a way to offload some tat. And when might it slow down. Thoughts anyone ?
    • Yes i did eventually realise that the oil will act as a barrier, I'm sure the discussion will continue. Ive had two oleophobic coffees ( added coconut ) and in the meantime i have this just delivered to take my mind off epilame for the time being. My favourite type of dial, its a beautiful looking watch traditional English made and it runs,  the ticktock is phenomenal,  i can hear it across my living room .  You wont believe how much it was. Thats interesting about synthetic oils , i thought the same, going from a 2 year service to 5 years is a big drop in income for service folk.  I expect some did well when they embraced the use of synthetic,  probably drawing in more customers than those that didn't use the new fangled substances , i bet fairly short lived though. The more frequent service makes more sense to me, not for just the service but for the regular check up inspections that might pick up impending faults. As far as epilame goes, wouldn't it be great to be able to fumigate the complete movement in a sealed jar of heated stearic acid, 🤔 now theres a thought 😅.
    • Imm going to close the discussion by attaching the photo of my super-titanium after several vicissitudes finally working. Purchased as not working I replaced the battery and for a stroke of luck I found its semi-new solar panel which, having verified its operation, seems to recharge the accumulator perfectly. I had taken this watch almost by bet, with 40 euros I brought it back to life. The initial half idea was to resell it to finance another purchase, but.. it's definitely a nice item. It would need to check the impermeability but it's a pleasure to see it on the wrist 😃
    • In fact the secret is to go gently and find the way without forcing, and the movement enters without problems