Desk top vs handheld polishing tool

Hello everyone, I'm looking to purchase a polishing tool and wanted to ask for your opinion.

I am torn between a handheld Dremel or a Deluxe bench top. I assume that with time, I will probably buy both, but due to current apartments constraints and pending negotiations with my wife, I am more leaning towards the Dremel as it is just easier to store away. One reason why I'm also leaning towards the Dremel is that I will soon be restoring a lathe and being able to polish some parts by hand should give me more flexibility to work on non flat surfaces that may be a bit harder to reach (also I cannot stick the whole lathe under the desk top tool 😅)

I guess now that I wrote it down, I pretty much have my answer, but maybe there are things that I am failing to consider?

Thank you

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonasB said:

I am torn between a handheld Dremel or a Deluxe bench top

The  Dremel you linked is 300% overpriced. You can buy a no name rotary tool with same or better quality, full accessories, for less than one half. If possible get an accessory to fix it on a small vise (Proxxon has it) or the like, for light polishing it will do almost the same work than a bench one.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JonasB said:

Hello everyone, I'm looking to purchase a polishing tool and wanted to ask for your opinion.

I am torn between a handheld Dremel or a Deluxe bench top. I assume that with time, I will probably buy both, but due to current apartments constraints and pending negotiations with my wife, I am more leaning towards the Dremel as it is just easier to store away. One reason why I'm also leaning towards the Dremel is that I will soon be restoring a lathe and being able to polish some parts by hand should give me more flexibility to work on non flat surfaces that may be a bit harder to reach (also I cannot stick the whole lathe under the desk top tool 😅)

I guess now that I wrote it down, I pretty much have my answer, but maybe there are things that I am failing to consider?

Thank you

Eyup matey. I use a cheap cordless dremmel type tool by the make name of parkside, supposedly German from a supermarket here in the Uk called Lidl. They also sold a bench mounted jig to hold it so it has the use of hand held and bench mounted. Variable speed and even though it is battery run it does last for hours between charges. It takes different  sized collets that hold all manner of accessories, the 25mm felf buffing wheels are perfect for polishing cases. Both the tool and jig came to £20 . 

2 hours ago, frankiethebear2002 said:

Hi folks, this is the one that I use for hand polishing.  I also trap it down to a jig and use it as a static one too.  Its not bad and pretty effective.

https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/135w-multi-tool-40pc-accessory-set

Hope this is of some use.

Frankie

Vonhaus gear is ok. I have a big cordless stapler which is great for tacking plywood and a slotting tool for joining worktops also not bad. 

• Like 2

For hand motor I have a basic level Proxxon that's seen hourly daily use for 16 years, still running strong. Dremel doesn't hold a candle to it (owned those too). The boutique  watchmaker Christophe Claret issues each watchmaker in his employ with a Proxxon, they're 10x cheaper than the real hand motors and they just work. A high end hand motor can cost from 1.5k to almost sky the limit.

A bench polishing machine is a very different animal and there are plenty of YT vids of serious case restorers showing how they build back up a case with laser or brazing and then bring it back to original shape. Back in the day you'd lean in and get "everything shiny". Now most vintage watch owners opt out of case polishing .

But on your own watch, a combination of perhaps filing and abrasive paper finishing with a hand motor polish can look very good.

• Like 4

It may be to do with autism and all round Neurofunkiness, but I hate seeing tatty cases and dials.  i get it that most folk seem to like the effect of age showing as it adds character and gives a feeling of having had a life, but if its mine, it gets the shiny.  Just one of my many quirks, but I like to see it as its was made and intended to be.  I understand that sometimes gold is used for more than aesthetic reasons, but its a very lustrous material and I think its lustre should be celebrated and not covered up by years of sweaty fingerprints and sebum.  Tarnished or dirty gold just "gies me the wullies".

Frankie

4 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Eyup matey. I use a cheap cordless dremmel type tool by the make name of parkside, supposedly German from a supermarket here in the Uk called Lidl. They also sold a bench mounted jig to hold it so it has the use of hand held and bench mounted. Variable speed and even though it is battery run it does last for hours between charges. It takes different  sized collets that hold all manner of accessories, the 25mm felf buffing wheels are perfect for polishing cases. Both the tool and jig came to £20 . 

Vonhaus gear is ok. I have a big cordless stapler which is great for tacking plywood and a slotting tool for joining worktops also not bad. 

I've had a Parkside wired one since Moses was a lad.  The actual tool is connected to a plug in power supply by a three pronged micro plug, pretty weird set up, but I've had it for years and still works flawlessly.  Wifey can always tell when I've been polishing something as the inside of the shed looks like its been roughcasted.

One thing I don't like about the von haus is the collets, i'd rather have a jacobs chuck type holder.  As far as I'm aware they are readily available.  I do have a special birthday on Saturday, so.....

One thing that I really do like is the extension cable.  It lets you keep everything else out of the way and lets you concentrate on the job in hand.  Quite a bit of thought went into that cheap orange lump of very useful plastic.

Frankie

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2022 at 6:42 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Here is the cordless dremmel type and also a variable speed bench  grinder with a polishing mop a grinding wheel and scotchpad wheel also a parkside from Lidl. They are very cheap but actually have a 3 year guarantee on them so they cant be too bad.

16590720531491872242423636827695.jpg

16590720778007589144314920425418.jpg