Hello!

My Father has been a Watchmaker for over 30 years and I had the opportunity to learn from him for 4 years. I am looking to educate myself now and hopefully begin my own career in the near future before he completely retires. I found this website and would love to be part of the community. Hello to everyone!

23 hours ago, BeltranJoe said:

My Father has been a Watchmaker for over 30 years and I had the opportunity to learn from him for 4 years. I am looking to educate myself now and hopefully begin my own career in the near future before he completely retires. I found this website and would love to be part of the community. Hello to everyone!

Welcome Joe,

I too am the son of a watchmaker.  While a young boy he taught me what I was willing to absorb.  Did his clock work for gas money as a teen.  Like you, I returned to watchmaking later in years.  I only wish I had done this before my dad died because he would have given me a wealth of insight.  I inherited all of his tools and bench, so he gave me a good start.  But now I must rely on the good folks on this forum as surrogates for my dad.

There are some uber-bright watchmakers on this forum who are eager to help.  I do not count myself among them at this stage, but maybe in 10 years or so...who knows?

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 5:31 PM, LittleWatchShop said:

Welcome Joe,

I too am the son of a watchmaker.  While a young boy he taught me what I was willing to absorb.  Did his clock work for gas money as a teen.  Like you, I returned to watchmaking later in years.  I only wish I had done this before my dad died because he would have given me a wealth of insight.  I inherited all of his tools and bench, so he gave me a good start.  But now I must rely on the good folks on this forum as surrogates for my dad.

There are some uber-bright watchmakers on this forum who are eager to help.  I do not count myself among them at this stage, but maybe in 10 years or so...who knows?

Thank You for the reply, 

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, it must feel bittersweet to be using his tools and especially his bench. I am hoping my dad also leaves me all his tools after he retires, I have been purchasing little by little and man it gets expensive. 

Have you attended any addition schooling?