6309A Cleaning the automatic wind and plastic parts

I'm still working on this Seiko 6309 movement and have cleaned almost everything except the balance assy, and the automatic winding parts.

I'm hesitant about putting the  automatic winding part with the bearing in my ultra sonic cleaner and also the plastic parts.

I use Zenith cleaning fluid and rinse in my ultrasonic. Does anyone know if the Seiko green plastic parts will be OK in this cleaning fluid?

The bearing should be OK, as long as I re-oil it properly right?

It's a bit hard to see in the photo, but the automatic frame is way over oiled.

Thanks for any help with this.

Bill.

P6220133.1.jpg

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

Hmmm.... Just an observation....

Don't the cleaning fluids come in plastic bottles?

Well yes they do, but there’s many, many different kinds of plastic. 
I have no idea what kind of plastic the watch parts are made of.   Could  easily be a type that is damaged  by some solvents, which is why I asked the question. 
thank you though.  

On 6/26/2022 at 6:40 AM, BillM said:

Could  easily be a type that is damaged  by some solvents, which is why I asked the question.

No it's not that type. The manufacturer know well that plastic parts gets to be cleaned with the others during service. They are resistant to all cleaning fluids including petrol based, alchool and ammonia. Same for synthetic rubber (nytrile) gaskets. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

I worked on one of my 6309 movements that had clearly been serviced.  None of the plastic parts felt "normal".  They seemed to have been softened and deformed.  I have no idea how they were cleaned previously.  I know that water and detergent pose almost zero risk to plastic.  Detergent does a great job on oil and grease so that is how I do it.  I don't have enough spare parts to test compatibility and new parts are getting harder to find and more expensive so I go the conservative route.  This is a hobby for me.  I don't do this as a business so speed is not a concern.  I mess up plenty of other parts, messing up one less part is a plus for me.   

• Like 1