AS/ST 1686

Hi folks

I’ve been disassembling and reassembling the above not really working practice movement.  All seemed OK (bearing in mind my limited newbie capabilities) until I got to the click and it’s spring.  I cannot get the click to work.  It moves when I start winding but won’t click back into place to hold the wind.

I’ve looked at the previous posting on here re the same movement and the spring looks the same and seems to be located the same.  The spring is .3mm tall as it sits in its groove.  The click has a nubbin on the centre arm but it does not engage with the spring.  I’ve taken the lid off the barrel and it looks fine to me…

I should mention that I don’t know anything re the history of the movement.  

I’ve taken some photos.  Any comments that would guide me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,J

2BAA3CF1-9F06-4614-BD2B-78738A95CF08.jpeg

6DF4CE58-B446-451C-97C8-C246C446716D.jpeg

16C29F5E-F336-408E-99DF-9871A3E031BC.jpeg

If you observe the click spring, it has 1 long arm and 1 short arm. The long arm must engage the small nub on the underside of the click. Sometime the click spring is not original as click springs have wings and tend to fly away. The end of the replacement spring might not be shaped correctly and might not be engaging the nub. I've even seen one that was so short that the last watchmaker didn't push the crook of the spring all the way into the recess or else it wouldn't even reach the nub.

So check if the spring is long enough to engage the nub.

Could you get a photo of the click and spring with a higher magnification? I can't see the end of the click spring properly.

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

It's hard to see in the photo but is the long end of the spring on the correct side of the click's pin?947074304_6DF4CE58-B446-451C-97C8-C246C446716D.jpeg.a43a540ed4fcdcc839ecfa4bfe76f1683.jpg.c1f3b5f45f388586065c8f59fcaa3119.jpg

It is difficult to see but I think it's the right way round.  I think the spring is on the wrong side of the little protrusion (is there a name for it?)

Yessss.  It's going.  Ticking along nicely for several hours now.  The spring was on the wrong side of the nubbin.  I've only tinkered with three or four watches so far and I didn't know there were right and wrong sides.  It's all so dang small.  

Thanks for taking the time to comment and especially thank you to Shane for marking up the photo for me (worth a thousand words....).

I'm sorry about the quality of my photos.  I was into macro photography in my twenties but now I'm limited to what I can do on my phone or tablet. 

Watchweasol - thanks for the PDF.  Is that something I could find if I knew how?  

• Mark locked this topic