53 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Been offered these, all working, for £200. I know we don't do evaluations on here but worth it. 

IMG-20220521-WA0018.jpg

Cant read the names rich. Tbh the only one that looks like it could be  genuine is the middle one. The top one im  not keen on, second hand seems wrong. The dial on the bottom is clearly older than the case and the case just looks all wrong. Are the top and bottom gold plate ?

3 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Cant read the names rich. Tbh the only one that looks like it could be  genuine is the middle one. The top one im  not keen on, second hand seems wrong. The dial on the bottom is clearly older than the case and the case just looks all wrong. Are the top and bottom gold plate ?

From top to bottom, Telos, arsa and leonidas. The arsa is meant to be very good quality and the leonidad good quality.  The Telos is a bad name either. 

3 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

From top to bottom, Telos, arsa and leonidas. The arsa is meant to be very good quality and the leonidad good quality.  The Telos is a bad name either. 

I havent come across any of these Rich. Absolutely no idea on these

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

I don't suppose you have more pictures to show of the back sides specially,  important if the gold plating is still intact and pix  of the movements helps. 

Third one looks to have been exposed to water.

Are all runners?  

Just now, Nucejoe said:

I don't suppose you have more pictures to show of the back sides specially,  important if the gold plating is still intact and pix  of the movements helps. 

Third one looks to have been exposed to water.

Are all runners?  

Oh didn't notice , you have mentioned all working, nevertheless I say not a bargain.

10 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hi Rich. After a little research on these. I'm coming up with the leonidas and arsa dials probably  being of german military . Both these brands along with many others made German military issue watches during WW2. On the case back would be marked with the watch serial number along with a letter D   a  DH  or  a DU. These would indicate to which force and purpose the watch would be given and used by. They are more or less the German equivalent of our British  ATP watches which usually had a white face and were made by 17 different swiss brands for us.  This all relates to the watch dials only. The cases on your photos just dont seem to fit. I couldn't find any examples of these German military dials in either a gold plated case or a slim chrome case like the arsa has. They were all in a fairly heavy duty chrome plate or SS case. So maybe recased or possibly custom made for an officer ? as the leonidas has fancy lugs as well. As with most things in our world of watches anything is possible.  A look at the back may give us more clues.  As to value if both those were in the military  case in good working condition, prices were indicated as being anywhere from 300 up to 700 each. Thats is my best shot mate from a couple of hours of research. 

17 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I came up with the same things. Pictures of the backs and hopefully movements later today. 

What are your thoughts on the cases . Do you think the leonidas looks a bit wierd ?  I'm thinking of treating myself to a dirty dozen. Ive been doing loads of research on them . Seen a few different brands on epay. Not cheap but doable just not the more sought after like the longines. Only 13 full collections in the world. It looks like half a collection of 6 is possible with about 15 -20 grand of spare cash. 😀 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

16 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

What are your thoughts on the cases . Do you think the leonidas looks a bit wierd ?  I'm thinking if treating myself to dirty dozen. Ive been doing loads of research on them . 

I've no idea.  I know what you mean about the leonidas. Just because they have black dials doesn't make them military but some could be officer dress watches.  I was hoping someone might know for sure or at least be relatively certain. Hopefully more photos will help. 

2 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I've no idea.  I know what you mean about the leonidas. Just because they have black dials doesn't make them military but some could be officer dress watches.  I was hoping someone might know for sure or at least be relatively certain. Hopefully more photos will help. 

The dials are identical to the german military, i thought that no lume pips would indicate something besides military, but i looked at literally over 150 of these dials on genuine military issues and well over half had no lume pips. So i have other thoughts of surplus supplies of these dials in factories after the war  could have been used in loads of different cases instead of destoying them. What do you think ? Good theory ?

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

The dials are identical to the german military, i thought that no lume pips would indicate something besides military, but i looked at literally over 150 of these dials on genuine military issues and well over half had no lume pips. So i have other thoughts of surplus supplies of these dials in factories after the war  could have been used in loads of different cases instead of destoying them. What do you think ? Good theory ?

I think you're probably right.  Let's hope more photos help. 

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I was hoping someone might know for sure. 

Ive come to realise that there are only general guidelines in the world of watch repair and watch history and collecting. Anything is possible and there are always exceptions, what a watch maker, company, worker, administration may  or may not do during a set period can sometimes deviate from their norm. And if that deviation is never documented then the chances are none of us or even experts may never learn that fact. So some of what we know or think may only boil down to an assumption and our best guess. 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I think you're probably right.  Let's hope more photos help. 

Definitely  mate, the rear of the watch and case back may tell something.  The movement should certainly chuck some light on it. I'm developing an interest in military watches. Theres is a book that has a shed load of information about military timepieces but its nearly 200 quid. 

2 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ive come to realise that there are only general guidelines in the world of watch repair and watch history and collecting. Anything is possible and there are always exceptions, what a watch maker, company, worker, administration may  or may not do during a set period can sometimes deviate from their norm. And if that deviation is never documented then the chances are none of us or even experts may never learn that fact. So some of what we know or think may only boil down to an assumption and our best guess. 🤷‍♂️

I've come to realise the same thing, I think that's part of the fascination. Researching, learning and quite often making mistakes. My friend wasn't interested in watches/ clocks until he started selling them and having to do research.  He too now finds them fascinating. 

• Like 1

Leonidas I've heard of.  Arsa kind of rings a bell, but I can't say I know much of anything about them.  And I've never heard of Telsa at all. But considering the Leonidas and the fact that they're all running, it's been hard to get a better price for three decent runners lately.  I think you probably did okay.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Leonidas I've heard of.  Arsa kind of rings a bell, but I can't say I know much of anything about them.  And I've never heard of Telsa at all. But considering the Leonidas and the fact that they're all running, it's been hard to get a better price for three decent runners lately.  I think you probably did okay.

I've decided to buy them. I like them and I'm getting a couple of mystery watches thrown in. More pictures when they arrive. 

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

The Telos, with the gold strap has a AHO movement.I have learnt that it's August Hohl and considered a very good movement but I can't find much else.  Nothing on the Internet about Telos, except for a relatively new company. 

Can you post sone photes of case backs rich.