Genuine or Replica

24 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi all,

Its an exhibition back, yet I can't tell it the movement/ watch  is genuine.

Your thoughts? 

TIA

https://esam.ir/zoomItemN.aspx?img=15685045_1651908408_093.jpg&slide=1&IDi=22953982

Ooh open heart with power reserve indicator. I like extra things to look at on the dial. Dial looks nice , inside doesnt exactly exude  quality. Dial not super accurate, indices 5 and 7 not accurate to the balance viewing bezel. How much ? 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Thanks 1

Starting bid $140 ، buy it now $280. 

I wouldn't buy if it isn't Genuine.

Isn't open heart to show a tourbillon, that right there indicates a rep, I think.

Seller claims its unused, you noticed the hour hand has been poorly reinstalled and good eyes 5 & 7 indices r inaccurate. 

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ooh open heart with power reserve indicator. I like extra things to look at on the dial. Dial looks nice , inside doesnt exactly exude  quality. Dial not super accurate, indices 5 and 7 not accurate to the balance viewing bezel. How 

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Isn't open heart to show a tourbillon, that right there indicates a rep, I think.

Seller claims its unused, you noticed the hour hand has been poorly reinstalled and good eyes 5 & 7 indices r inaccurate. 

No not tourbillon, kinda nice to see the 

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

No not tourbillon.  Kinda nice to see the tickytock though. Not an expensive item though, you don't t get much for a couple of hundred. Would I buy it🤔 . I think I would rather buy a couple of nice vintage tbf.

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ooh open heart with power reserve indicator. I like extra things to look at on the dial. Dial looks nice , inside doesnt exactly exude  quality. Dial not super accurate, indices 5 and 7 not accurate to the balance viewing bezel. How much ? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234392177618?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=AwsX9OFvRxS&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=tBiLZaCfRb2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Preowned

7 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Its an exhibition back, yet I can't tell it the movement/ watch  is genuine

It looks like the watch can be genuine but genuine what?

If you take the name on the dial the number on the back look on the Internet over the place including Amazon? If you look at the reviews on Amazon not the best and it hints at something basically poor quality Chinese.

I think what the problem you're having is the same problem I'm having? The name looks familiar dial looks pretty good and the movement looks suspicious? The name seems familiar and if you look at the second link you'll see why. But if you look at the first link then it's just a name on a watch. It's one of the unfortunate realities of watches the original name had meaning the current name is just something to sell the watch. In this case a Chinese watch. One look at the first link all those watches look really cheap definitely Chinese..

So it does appear to be genuine just not genuine quality.

https://thomas-earnshaw.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Earnshaw

• Thanks 1

A quick investigation indicates that Earnshaw watches is owned by Darrmouth Brands Ltd which in turn is wholly owned by Solar Time Ltd ... a watch manufacturer based in Hong Kong.

So, yes, it's a genuine Earnshaw on that basis. Here are some other brands Dartmouth/Solar operate: https://www.dartmouthbrands.co.uk/

I note with interest one of these brands is Cortebert ... a bygone name I'm familiar with and one of the many manufacturers who went down the pan with the quartz crisis. That doesn't seem to mean that someone else can't use that name many decades later even if the Swiss and (operating since) 1790 connotations are misleading.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WatchMaker said:

A quick investigation indicates that Earnshaw watches is owned by Darrmouth Brands Ltd which in turn is wholly owned by Solar Time Ltd ... a watch manufacturer based in Hong Kong.

So, yes, it's a genuine Earnshaw on that basis. Here are some other brands Dartmouth/Solar operate: https://www.dartmouthbrands.co.uk/

I note with interest one of these brands is Cortebert ... a bygone name I'm familiar with and one of the many manufacturers who went down the pan with the quartz crisis. That doesn't seem to mean that someone else can't use that name many decades later even if the Swiss and (operating since) 1790 connotations are misleading.

There is a lot of old brand names that have been bought up by Chinese companies.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

There is a lot of old brand names that have been bought up by Chinese companies.

I get quite upset and disgusted by it. Quality brand names that were around for over a hundred years to have their reputations completely destroyed and  their names attached to something that bares no resemblance whatsoever to what that company actualy stood for. 😠

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

The fake is actually advertising for the genuine.

To see what I mean by this, just listen to yourselves and what your saying, 

Without Earnshaw paying a penny

You are talking about Earnshaw 

Saying  Earnshaw products are good and good enough  to be copied, its the genuine one implies good quality, also imlpy that Chinese copies are bad.

I don't see Rolex sue the fake in court of law.

Edited by Nucejoe

5 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

I don't see Rolex sue the fake in court of law

Rolex has a very active looking for the fakes and would probably sue them in court but typically people making these more interesting low-priced watches don't leave addresses for Rolex to find them that usually make their goods and move on to some other venture before Rolex catches up to them.

Like somewhere probably on YouTube is a video of all the fake watches seized by the US customs department and then there are run over with a steamroller showing them being crushed. But that doesn't change somebody's business profile where they sold those to somebody in this country they have their money and their long ago and they'll continue to do what the delay until somebody actually catches the individuals and there's more individuals than just them so it's a hard thing to put a stop to

for instance I went spotted an advertisement for an interesting reproduction of a Rolex exactly identical to a Rolex and Hattaway know they had pictures. So I sent it to a friend who occasionally would take classes with Rolex on identifying these things. He centered on to Rolex and we never heard again what they thought? That was until he took the next class on counterfeit watches where the instructor was wearing a nice chronograph complement of the Chinese mafia basically. So they had actually gone ahead and purchased the watch to see if they could track down who was selling them and it basically goes back to Chinese criminal organizations.  So basically tracing the money is hard to do so it's almost impossible to stop these people and obviously they make a lot of money selling watches with popular names on them.

• Like 1