4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

There is no part that is interchangeable with a fusee movement. The mainspring are very high the length is important it has to be correct,  finding a chain the correct height  length and thickness to match the fusee cone will be like looking for a needle in a hay stack  

Hi oldhippy . In your opinion is a non working fusee a total no no for an amateur even a very good one ?

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Young children use to make the chains working under candle light. 

I can be very childlike when I want to be , does that count? 

2 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I would like it to go to a good home and be loved.  I know selling on here isn't allowed but I would be willing to let it go for a small fee if it would benefit anyone.  I'm not putting it on ebay, I would prefer to keep it than do that but if any genuine watch enthusiasts wants it, fine. 

Another one 

Running fusee, English lever, I believe. 

20220506_183936.jpg

20220506_183846.jpg

20220506_183753.jpg

PS, I'm dyslexic.  I can't read fancy writing.  No idea what the inscription says, to Google it 

Me and my missus recon J. Firderer. Googled it . Yes mate Birmingham company 👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hi oldhippy . In your opinion is a non working fusee a total no no for an amateur even a very good one ?

I'm not OH, but a non working fusee would be a very discouraging piece to work on as a newcomer to watchmaking,  as the possibility of getting it to work at all is so slim.

As for amateur; there are amateurs who make entire watches by hand. Also professionals who haven't touched a lathe since school. So no comment there.

11 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

I'm not OH, but a non working fusee would be a very discouraging piece to work on as a newcomer to watchmaking,  as the possibility of getting it to work at all is so slim.

As for amateur; there are amateurs who make entire watches by hand. Also professionals who haven't touched a lathe since school. So no comment there.

Thank you Nucejoe. But maybe a back burner piece for a very quick learning beginner in five years time when they are a fantastic amateur ? 🙂

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

In all my time in horology I have never know an amateur that could or would undertake such a repair. I have know many watchmakers that are high craftsmen who wouldn't. 

That's such a shame that a lovely very old watch would become redundant. I love restoring really old buildings making them a little closer to their former selves. Using as close as I can to traditional methods and materials as far as current practices and regulations will allow. I was hoping that someone would say the same regarding this. Would they not repair because its too difficult or because its not economically viable ? I often come across similar situations in construction, almost anything is possible if you throw enough money at it but there becomes a point where practicality over rules financial cost.

42 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

That's such a shame that a lovely very old watch would become redundant...

...but there becomes a point where practicality over rules financial cost.

That has been my heartache many times also.  I would love to learn all that I can, so I can save all the pretty watches.  But I am only one man with a very limited bank account, and precious few people who can teach me the really old stuff that many watchmakers don't know anymore.  And most such people are right here on this forum.

2 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

That has been my heartache many times also.  I would love to learn all that I can, so I can save all the pretty watches.  But I am only one man with a very limited bank account, and precious few people who can teach me the really old stuff that many watchmakers don't know anymore.  And most such people are right here on this forum.

Aw bless you. Sounds like me. I try to keep my potential ability in check for the time being and direct what I know can do to much easier targets. I've resurrected around 25 vintage English,Swiss and Russian mechanical in the last six months besides tinkering around learning about quartz  so I'm reasonably happy for now.

If the watch was complete and in its original case with dial in good condition and working it might sell for a few hundred the trouble is it has no makers name. Having the movement put into good working condition with out the case it would cost over £1000 so it would not be a good investment. 

You are so right about old buildings. 

15 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

If the watch was complete and in its original case with dial in good condition and working it might sell for a few hundred the trouble is it has no makers name. Having the movement put into good working condition with out the case it would cost over £1000 so it would not be a good investment. 

You are so right about old buildings. 

Thanks OH. I'm not particularly shocked about the restoration costs, I more or less know where that lays with most things. But I am surprised as to what its restored value or even its genuine working value would be even without a name. I'm pleased to say that this isn't usually the case with old property. But it was always a constant struggle to use traditional materials and ways and keep the building control happy at the same time as well as weigh up the extra cost of doing that. St. Calcs on timber oak beams were so much more expensive not to mention the raw material cost and availability of them. Some of them could only account for decoration. No sorry Mr. Builder its not important enough to be a listed building, let's just put a nice off the shelf HD pressed lintel in there shall we. 😣

Edited by Neverenoughwatches