Genuine Rolex dial?

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Found this in a job lot, genuine? 

20220503_191832.jpg

Also found these. 

20220503_193433.jpg

20220503_193453.jpg

Hiya Rich . There are a lot of fake watches on ebay. I found a tag dial  that was really badly done. Examine very  closely. Any thing that doesn't indicate quality then it's a fake. The lettering does look a little off level and a bit pants . The calender 13 doesn't look quality at all, and look a the lume pip at 9. And the indices at 6 the lume pip is covering the Swiss lettering. These standout to my untrained eye. This would be from what a ten grand watch?  I would expect much more for my money  tbh. I nearly bought myself a Tudor this weekend that was reduced to 2 grand, it looked near perfect. Sorry mate there are loads of them. Its a trick that the seller uses, discreetly hiding something  that looks valuable to bump up the bidding. Crafty barstuards

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Richard,

I'm no Rolex expert but I agree with @Neverenoughwatches. I recently watched a video where somebody compared a fake with a genuine side by side and the fakes are getting so good. Based on that I'd say yours is fake because of the same reasons noted above AND the fact that genuine dials are fetching upwards of $100 each so knowing that why would anyone include one in a job lot? Unlikely mistake if they even looked at eBay for prices.

• Thanks 1

As others have said, given that this if genuine would be on a 10 grand plus watch I would expect perfection, the lume pips are all over the place in both size and position, they just look like they have been done by hand, the Rolex pips would be added mechanically so would all be even in size and position relating to the hour markers.

One common ply I have seen is someone has a bag of old junkers and throws in a fake Rolex, but never mentions it in the description so some poor fool thinks the seller has missed it so bids accordingly, the trouble is poor fools rearly act alone and they seem to congregate around the same auctions thus push the price of the bag of junk up to silly levels, which encourages the seller to do it again.

Seen it happen in the Pen world as well, in one case 10 Chines pens which cost a couple of pounds each are bundled with a fake Montblanc and the description says I know nothing about these pens, I found them when clearing a dead relatives house. They then sit back and watch £20 worth of low quality pens sell for a couple of hundred to one of the affor mentioned poor fools.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

... Any thing that doesn't indicate quality then it's a fake. The lettering does look a little off level and a bit pants . The calender 13 doesn't look quality at all, and look a the lume pip at 9. And the indices at 6 the lume pip is covering the Swiss lettering. These standout to my untrained eye. ..

Neverenoughwatches hit the nail on the head.  I have only worked on a mere handful of genuine Rolexes.  But they're perfect.  Even under magnification.  They have to be, for the price they charge.  I also saw that blob of lume on top of "Swiss" and thought to myself "Heck no, Rolex wouldn't do that."  You look at a watch dial very often; some of us - every day.  There would come a time when the owner would notice things like that and be displeased.  
And!...even if it is NOT fake, as expensive as Rolex parts can be, there's no way I'd pay even a moderate price for an imperfect part that my customer might bring back to me and complain about.  With the high-end watches, it is safest that any replacement parts be genuine and flawless.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Richard must have suspect these fakes,   just wanted to make sure.

I'm sure you are right Nucejoe.  It's just that initial hope of "ohhh  I've found something valuable". When that calms down and you look more closely the hope turns to " oh shit its a piece of shit ". We've all had buyer's remorse, looking positively though Rich you know how to recognize fake dials and your next good find will be so much sweeter. 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks all

I think you're correct.  Luckily it was a genuine job lot, I paid well under the odds for what I received.  But a hidden gem would of been good.  Hehe. 

What about the Cartier, fake too?

The picture is not very clear Rich. But just apply the same principles, your gut feeling should tell you. 

But a hidden gem would of been good.  Hehe. 

They do occasionally  mate, you will quickly develop an eye to spot some good stuff. I have lots of fun taking the pee out of sellers that try the cleverly half  hidden fake tricks. " Really ? You think I'm going to fall for that one, BTW dikhead Rolex's Freud branch  now have your ebay details." Then sit back and watch how quickly they remove that listing . Its Really funny.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
naughty word removed
  • Thanks 1