Watch art

Thanks for sharing!

It would seem to me that Arnold & Son has a very different approach to watches than a manufacturer such as for example German Sinn.

"Functionality is our top priority and ultimately determines the design. Only the technical features that are really needed can be found on our watches"
~Lothar Schmidt, Owner of Sinn Watches

It's really amazing to see all this diversity in design and approach to watches. Personally I have a typical Sinn mentality. If a feature of watch is only there for aesthetical reasons or to show off technical brilliance it just doesn't resonate that much with me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VWatchie said:

...to show off technical brilliance it just doesn't resonate that much with me.

That's kind of how I feel about tourbillons.

I do however find the rose engine decoration on a dial quite nice.

RGM's operation is quite a bit smaller in scale than Arnold and Son. 

Edited by grsnovi
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

That's kind of how I feel about tourbillons.

I do however find the rose engine decoration on a dial quite nice.

RGM's operation is quite a bit smaller in scale than Arnold and Son. 

As long a the primary focus is function I don't mind aesthetics one bit, quite the contrary. It can be extremely satisfying to enjoy. However, aesthetics (like a golden dragon on the dial) without function, no matter how beautiful and well executed, just isn't my cup of tea.

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 2

When I got my Zenith I wasn't sure if my dial was cut or stamped (I'm still not sure but I suspect stamped). I lived in Pennsylvania from 1967 through 1980 and was surprised that such a boutique watch works was "right down the street" from where I lived. While RGM does enhance and case other movements they've also designed some of their own. Somewhere there is a video of their rose engine work - I think learning to decorate with a rose engine would be therapeutic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grsnovi said:

I've been struck by the work of Roland G. Murphy located in the state of Pennsylvania (USA). 

rgm.jpg

I like this watch.  It is a decent example of my preferences.  My taste in aesthetics tend to lean toward VWacthie's most of the time.  I do think a quality watch should be pleasing to look at, because they convey their information to us largely by sight.  But whenever a watchmaker can make a watch with multiple useful complications, and still make it easily readable (at a glance when possible) then he has made an art and science combined.  It takes skill to arrange the mechanism in such a way that all things which it can show us are plain to see, rather than overlapping awkwardly.  Form following function often brings its own kind of beauty.

• Like 2

DecorationFunctionOrBoth.thumb.jpg.c84e2550ec4aae26c3fd3edc7dca6f86.jpg

If these "screws" are purely decorative I find them utterly ugly. Most likely I will never even get near a watch like this (costing a mere $100,000 or so) but if anyone knows what these "screws" are, please enlighten me!

3 hours ago, VWatchie said:

DecorationFunctionOrBoth.thumb.jpg.c84e2550ec4aae26c3fd3edc7dca6f86.jpg

If these "screws" are purely decorative I find them utterly ugly. Most likely I will never even get near a watch like this (costing a mere $100,000 or so) but if anyone knows what these "screws" are, please enlighten me!

They're bolts, the slot is aesthetic, but they do go through the case and are fastened with nuts through the back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

They're bolts, the slot is aesthetic, but they do go through the case and are fastened with nuts through the back.

That information just made those bolts look amazing! As I previously mentioned, I just don't care much for aesthetics w/o function. When I become rich 🤨 I'll get myself a nice Royal Oak or two.

• Like 1