Barrel Re-Assembly Tip

I have a short memory, so therefore would spend ages trying to work out which way the  the Barrel  arbor went.

This is what I do now.

post-227-0-68005100-1432293102_thumb.jpg

I draw a quick Diagram showing, Spring rotation, Ratchet orientation, (Top or Bottom) and Arbor spindle, (Top or Bottom).

Saves me time. Hope it helps someone.

Keith

• Like 2

I have little cards with the spiral going clockwise on one side, and counterclockwise on the other.. this card stays with the barrel/arbor (with the correct side facing up) until the barrel goes back together.

Saves time if you have several watches going on at the same time.!

Anil

I haven't stripped a spring barrel yet but when I do, hopefully soon, I will remember your tip. Any tips on fitting a 42mm crystal to a 42mm bezel. It fits but doesn't snap in, still loose. Maybe a little superglue to fix it?

I don't understand the diagram and it sounds like something useful.  Can you explain it a little more? 

So far I haven't had a problem with this as I seem to have gotten it right the few times I've removed and replaced the mainspring.  The click tells me whether the ratchet wheel will turn clockwise or counter-clockwise.  In either case this should tell me how the spring goes into the barrel, shouldn't it?  Or am I missing something?

I don't understand the diagram and it sounds like something useful.  Can you explain it a little more? 

So far I haven't had a problem with this as I seem to have gotten it right the few times I've removed and replaced the mainspring.  The click tells me whether the ratchet wheel will turn clockwise or counter-clockwise.  In either case this should tell me how the spring goes into the barrel, shouldn't it?  Or am I missing something?

Many older watches have weird and wonderful Barrel set ups....... The diagram shows the Barrel itself, not the ratchet wheel. Fig 1, shows the drive for the Arbor is on top of the barrel, below that shows the spring rotation and below that the cog teeth on the barrel....... works for me. 

If your system works for you....... that's fine.

Keith

I use my mobile camera to take a picture, actually I do it all the way when dissasembling a watch, it save me a lot of problems later on :) and I can use it as a reference in the future if I need to.

Same thing here, I have short memory too. I snap photos, reduce it size and upload to google keep. I find it very helpful for reference, either during getting new parts, remembering to install or I can share it with friends to show.

post-660-0-94272300-1432622428_thumb.jpg

I use my mobile camera to take a picture, actually I do it all the way when dissasembling a watch, it save me a lot of problems later on :) and I can use it as a reference in the future if I need to.

This is obviously not the way to do it....... Surely the object of the game is to not have any bits left at the end.... :)

I agree with Legarm, the1st movement I stripped I made mental notes, big mistake. Couldn't remember how it went together. The 2nd movement I took photos and managed to reassemble OK. It is still very much a learning curve, but a very interesting one. I haven't stripped a main spring yet because I thought you needed a special expensive tool to rewind, but apparently if you are careful it can be wound by hand. :startle: