Reverse Thread? No way right?

Feeling like a bonehead here, so bear with me. I have a ladies Bulova with 5AH movement. The first disassemble, broke off the ratchet wheel screw (A). Bummer, just ordered another movement, like $10. 

Broke off barrel arbor screw again. Is there any possible way they reversed this ratchet wheel screw (A) on these little movements like crown wheel screw (B)? it makes no sense to me if they did. I would think they would unscrew themselves otherwise. I am just guessing these slowly got really tight when getting close to being over wound and the screw is just so small. 

Order 3rd movement, cheeper than ordering little parts separate. Any tips this next go around?

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 7.08.01 PM.png

3 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

Isn't the screw on the winding wheel (over the barrel) usually left-hand threaded?

B was reversed like most watches...my question is about A, that is above the main spring, and connects the ratchet wheel to the barrel arbor.

The secret is not to use brute force. When I'm unsure, I turn the screw a little both ways to see which way has less resistance. 

I've come across watches with both the crown wheel and ratchet wheel with left hand threads. And yes, they do unwind themselves.

• Like 2

Are you holding down the ratchet wheel firm with a piece of pegwood, then unscrewing either clockwise or anti clockwise gently to see which one loosens it?

Also, you’re going to face serious issues lubricating the balance jewels. You have to release the balance wheel first.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JerSievers said:

Is there any possible way they reversed this ratchet wheel screw (A) on these little movements like crown wheel screw (B)?

Yes. I have come across several movements (recently a A Schild 984) where both the crown and ratchet wheel screws are reversed. Why? I don't know. Of course, I made a note on the pic for future reference.

As @HectorLooi says, if the screw seems tight, try turning it a little the other way. Even if it's not a reversed thread, this can help free the screw.

Barrel-0004.thumb.jpg.7e564bcabc6d77737a9a299a4a25512d.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Yes. I have come across several movements (recently a A Schild 984) where both the crown and ratchet wheel screws are reversed. Why? 

I suppose that was to save one tool change and one different screw at manufacturing. 

• Like 1