Hand removal

If you use the dial protector with a cutout/slit for the hands, together with with a bergeon presto style hand remover, the thinner blades of the presto tool may be able to slide under the hands.  Only thing is the hands won’t be protected by the plastic sheet since it will come in contact with the presto tool.

• Thanks 1

I use a cheesy set of hand removers that I bought for cheap, but I sharpened the ends to address this issue for the most part.  I use a thin cellophane rather than thicker (sandwich bag thick).  But still...even today...I run into cases where it is challenging to get under a hand (especially the alarm hand of a vulcain cricket).  You just have to be creative.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 6:56 AM, HectorLooi said:

Bergeon Protective Vinyl Sheets 7982 Pack of 3
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0T8JtU

levers, exactly as seen in the photo. Even works on very small chrono hands.

Hi Richard, I personally use a sandwich bag over the hands and a set of hand levers as these give a great level of control and help you feel what is happening. As opposed to a presto tool which I have also tried even a very good quality set with thin pullers. I find Prestos can give a slight sudden uncontrolled  release of the hands. But as always whatever works for you. A few tips are - cheaper hand levers will most likely  have thicker bases difficult to feed under the hands and will require some dressing to thin them out, I spent a good half hour dressing and polishing the bases on mine, but worth the time and effort as they work very well. It is a little easier if the watch has stopped so your not chasing the second hand and helps if you have the hour and minute  hands aligned. I normally set the time to 12 o'clock. Change the film you are using to place over the hands fairing regularly, as it get damaged  periodically especially  if your hand levers have a thinness to them. I recommend a thinness as opposed  to sharpness. Once the dial is damaged its pretty much beyond  a hobbyists repair. Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

I had one watch I was trying to strip and no matter what I tried I couldn't get the hour hand to shift, in the end I figured I would undo the dial feet screws and try to use the dial to push the hand off, once the screws were loose the dial just fell off, it turned out the hour hand was a permanent fixture to the dial, not seen that before or since.

Paul