Watch Hand Restoration

There has been a few posts lately regarding re-furbishment of hands. This is an old vid & the guy is re-furbishing what looks like Rolex hands so this technic has it's limitations  certainly with the cheaper styles but still shows what can be achieved. The cleaning if the hands in the ultra sonic cleaner is a useful method for small items.

https://youtu.be/oXV6JfZ7lnA

Definitely interesting, it's a shame most low - mid range watches use base metal hands, I have re fitted hands that have fallen off and even re straightened mangled hands and I always wish i could take little marks and dinks off of them in this way, even if it is a lot of work. 

This is a very useful video however, should anyone be using the techniques demonstrated, can I recommend that you put the plug in the sink before rinsing!

Haha, well spotted, that would be heart-breaking!

This is a very useful video however, should anyone be using the techniques demonstrated, can I recommend that you put the plug in the sink before rinsing!

I'll repeat what I said to Geo when he posted the video.

I was a tad shocked at how he opened the tap (faucet) to full power just to rinse them off. Could bend them or lose them as posted above.

Cleaned some clock wheels with a ultra-sonic cleaner a while ago and I tipped the wheels into a sieve but one bug*er somehow stuck to the side of the cleaner & decided to come out only after removing the sieve. A perfect shot straight down the plug hole. I had to remove the sink waste trap to retrieve.

Funny now but at the time I was like a man possessed. :pulling-hair-out:

Seen this a while ago, but now having seen it again, I were reminded of something I wanted to ask you guys regards to pith wood.  In the video you can clearly see, the pith wood the guy uses to stand his peg wood in with the hands attached is soaked with what is clearly water?

So my question is, is pith wood supposed to be soaked like this so it works better for cleaning screwdriver, and tweezer tips?  My pith is dry, but always cleans my tips perfectly fine as is.

Morning Geo, thought so.  Not been around much, my mother passed away Saturday just gone :(

I'm so sorry to hear that Micky, please accept my sincere condolences. :(

• Like 1