A Couple Of Watches I Got Passed Down To Me.

Nathan

my late wife's grandfather left a few watches for her and now I am wondering if they should be serviced. The Voumard 2000 is running but I keep remembering the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I have not installed a battery in the Benrus so I don't know if it will run. Also, if I do open up the Voumard case, is there any precautions with the unusual winding steam I should know about?

post-1043-0-22978800-1431280406_thumb.jppost-1043-0-50553500-1431280461_thumb.jppost-1043-0-38780200-1431280608_thumb.jppost-1043-0-30999400-1431280515_thumb.jppost-1043-0-16716700-1431280567_thumb.jp

A question about the Benrus. When I pull out the stem and move the hands, the second had go whizzing around but only if turning the hands clockwise. Is this a normal thing?

I'm not familiar with Benrus movements, but a thought occurs to me. If the second hand moves when the watch is wound clockwise - and remains still when the watch is wound anti-clockwise - then this just may be a way to set the time exactly to the second. Some watches have a hack function, which allows the second hand to be stopped when the crown is pulled out - thus allowing exact time to be set. So, on your Benrus - when fully wound down - you could pull out the stem, wind clockwise until the second hand is set to the 12 position, then wind anti-clockwise to set the hour and minute hands. Result? Time set exactly.

This is just a theory - I don't know the watch in question - might just be a (useful) fault!

• Like 1

Hi Nathan,

If the Voumard is going to be an 'occasional' watch , ie only worn for special occasions like dinners, then by all means go for it.

If you're going to wear it for a longer period..say a few days at a time then it should be serviced.

Re the crown on the back...If I'm not mistaken the winding gears come off with the caseback.. the watch is then serviced normally. Servicing is not really an issue but if parts are required then it could be a problem chasing them down.

Anil

Thanks for the info Willfly. I tried turning the stem just very slightly so as to get the second hand in the twelve o'clock position. It is almost impossible to do. Just the smallest turn of the stem send the second hand flying around the dial.

• 4 weeks later...

If the seconds hand moves when you turn your watch it is a good thing: first- you have enough friction on your clutch (friction pinion), and second- if you need that small force to make it moving, then the wheel train is ok, the pallets are ok. All it needs is a bath and oil!

• Like 1