Second Timex Incoming!

And dead chuffed about this one!

I have been after the "right" Timex Electronic for some time. I wanted something from around 1974 which was the year I was given my first watch.. A Timex!

I remember thinking how these Electronic watches were so space age to my childhood imagination and the adverts looked so cool!

So last night scanning eBay the right one appeared. Gold cushion case in great condition and this one is the Time Zone model so has a second time zone feature. I believe these were only made for a couple of years.

It has an NOS strap installed as well as new battery and the seller (who is in Canada and deals in vintage watches) states all is correct and it keeps time.

My only question is what is the correct procedure for setting the second time zone. I have read a few things but they seem to contradict each other. Anyone have any idea?

Here are a couple of pictures from the seller. The other Timex is coming from the States so I think these two should arrive within days of each other as it normally takes 5-6 days for Canada post to ship across country!

The pictures are a little warm. From what I have seen in other images the gold is a little paler and the dial is silver.

_57-1_zps6a4c173a.jpg

_57_zps68485ab4.jpg

Thanks so much, I agree, in this condition there are not that many. I have seen some in similar condition going for a great deal more so am really happy about the cost of this.

I am lucky enough to own some more costly watches but I have got to say I have even more fun with this end of the spectrum. I think in part it's just that when it comes to the vintage stuff the every day watches offer so much value and I think these pieces tell more about the history of the period and it's peoples than the grander stuff.

These things are what working stiffs like me wore back in the day and I have always felt its that segment of society that makes the real history. Wearing prices like that remind me of that and help put some perspective back into my life.

Sorry, going all philosophical there but I think it's part and parcel of why folks collect old things.

I have several Timexes. Mechanical, for the most part but I have no Timex electronic..I don't know about the timex electronic. However, I have an electric Timex and a Dynabeat . don't know the exact year... but they run great ;)..

EDIT : hmmmmm!.. is it normal that this Timex has a red hour hand ?...I don't beleive.... but your can ask to the seller if one of the hands has been changed Ian..

Edited by SeikoWatch

The red hour hand is quite correct.

If you look closely you'll see that the watch has 4 hands instead of 3.

Hours, Minutes, and seconds in black, and then an additional hour hand in red.

The black hands are for telling the local time, and the red hour hand is for tracking the time in a different time zone.

• Like 1