How is this even possible?

21 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

If one or two of them fell off, I can understand. But ALL of them? 

Personally I like the look and I find it rather amusing good for a laugh. But normally they don't fall off their normally attached quite well. They do fall off but as you pointed out usually just one or two not all of them unless? The unless is in the picture I can't see where they attach? So I'm wondering if perhaps this is by design?

Unfortunately if you Google the number on the back of the case you'll find it wasn't by design more like stupidity of how the attached the numbers as the pictures I'm looking at their all where there supposed to be. Not free floating on the dial side.

It's hard to tell the picture just how thin they are? It was a printing process and they just didn't stick they might be brittle so you have be careful how you hold onto them. Then gluing them back in place that's going to be a challenge. Definitely an interesting problem I haven't seen this one before at least not to this degree. I'll be looking forward to an update of what they're like when you get them out of the case.

I got them out of the case. The indices look like they're made of some kind of titanium alloy. There are glue remnants still on the dial, so it looks like they were just glued on. 

I mixed up a batch of slow setting epoxy and carefully worked at gluing them back on till after midnight.

This morning I cleaned up the excess glue and I do say it came out better than expected. It's not perfect but you can only see the excess glue if you stare real hard.

20220123_124320.thumb.jpg.1c445f197080b00c882d9951ed87630f.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I mixed up a batch of slow setting epoxy and carefully worked at gluing them back on till after midnight.

Personally I use GS hypocement for that, as I think epoxy is orders of magnitudo stronger than needed. I like like it because beside is mostly friendly, easy to apply and remove and doesn't smell bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I think we've talked about this before, using a new mainspring to initially overcome the effects of more movement friction than there should be. The aim is to reduce all going friction not to push through the friction with more torque, that in the long run will create more wear.
    • Sensible precautions @rjenkinsgb. I remember as a lad, my mate's dad ran a garage. I can clearly remember watching him change break pads. He used an airline to blow the dust out, (when pads used asbestos), and  we used to practically bathe in "carbon tet". But then he did smoke about 40 cigs a day. Makes me shudder to think about it.
    • OK, a little bit more from today's lecture about the main springs. Generally, the spring in the barrel is limited and can't  unwind fully. With the blue line is shown the reserve/torque relation when spring unwinding is limited by the barrel. The green line represents the same when the spring is free to unwind fully And the red line shows the minimum torque that is needed for the movement to keep running. The yelow graph shows how the torque changes (from the blue) when the spring gets weaker (set) after 100 years of work. The purple line represents thinner and longer spring in the same barrel. As You can see, using thinner and longer spring will increase the power reserve. The 'set' spring will have the same reserve as a new one with the same sizes, only the amplitude will be just a little smaller.  Of course, this is true only when the movement othervice is in good health ( the red line is lo enough)
    • As long as you don't grind the stuff up and blow it around, you should be fine. Use a dust mask if in doubt.   The things I'm very careful of are: Radium lume - even the stuff that is visually completely dead and inert is still highly radioactive; it's the fluorescent part that decays, not the radium. A single speck inhaled or ingested can cause cancer, so store parts in zip bags and wear a dust mask & wipe your work area down after handling anything that uses it. A proper geiger counter is a good investment if you plan on working with vintage watches, so you can check for it & take appropriate precautions.   "One dip" & equivalents - the original type & the generic PERC dry cleaning fluid (Tetrachloroethylene / perchloroethylene) which is what the original one dip was mostly made of. That's toxic, a known carcinogen. Use in very good ventilation only & keep it sealed whenever possible.   The newer B-Dip is presumably a safer replacement.  
    • Only 137% !  sounds like you're not putting enough effort in 😆.  I would think of it like cogs on pushbike.  Fastest speed to the spindle would be largest pulley wheel on the drive and smallest pulley wheel on the driven. If the motor was into a sliding bed you would have 3x4 ? Speeds.