Lorus 'wrap around' case

Royg

My wifes Lorus watch has a failed movement, That's easy to remove and replace bur the rear of the case wraps under and I can't see how to get at the front of the face to replace the hands.

Anybody dealt with one of these before please?

Thanks

Roy

40 minutes ago, Royg said:

I can't see how to get at the front of the face to replace the hands.

That construction is called "front loader" and is very frequently asked by beginners. Enter the search including double quotes in the box top right to obtain the relevant answers.

Since no pictures have been posted since no picture have been posted, please keep in mind that is required for pretty much any question.

Hi  from the pictures it is not easy to discern whether the bezel is removable or not apicture or two of a side on view from both sides would help.  If the crystal is acrylic it may be lifted out, but to do that you need a tool. If its glass the case will need to be split. I notice there is only one dial foot left is the other stuck in the front plate?.

1 hour ago, Royg said:

Initial thought is that there doesn't appear to be a break at the front to create a bezel

Likely there is, but we can't tell because no side picture has been posted. 

If there is not, check below video by our host Mark Lovick. Note that a pump tool is also available, which works much better than a syringe. 

Thank you all for the fast and helpful replies.

philipk5 - that sounds like a good ide.

I have 3 options

Car tyre 12 volt compressor ( too high?)

Bicycle tyre pump

Air duster compressed air can.

Number 3 is my best guess?

what do you think?

9 hours ago, philipk5 said:

Or follow Marks method with a syringe (He seems to know what he's doing! 👍)

The problem with using a syringe, or other improvised air source, is that getting a good seal to the pendant tube is hit and miss.

The dedicated tool below comes with enough nylon tips, is not expensive, and unlike the syringe, has not failed me so far.

https://aliexpress.com/item/4000233469611.html

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Royg said:

By dial foot do you mean the hands?

You've got away with not breaking them because this being a basic watch has them just fitted in holes on the module or plastic ring. Other types use screws for a positive lock. It's never a good idea to go by force on watches. One need to know first what is what and why, and get the proper tools to proceed.

Thank you everyone for your assistance.

Thankfully both dial feet are still intact, the image doesn't really show that.

It's opened my eyes to an interesting pastime and I look forward to digging out all those old, non functioning watches and clocks in the cupboard!

Hi Glad to see the feet are ok, as jdm said quartz watches just push into plastic mounts whereas the mechanical watches are screwed in from the side  so cannot be removed without being undone.  Just to add to your interest in the Horological art I have attached a bit of reading for you as an introduction.       cheers

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist (2) (1).pdf TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf

• Like 1