Chronograph Hand Removal

jnash

Ive never had this issue before (well maybe once ! ) but ive just taken both chrono hands off a watch and they have both come off leaving there pipes in the pinions.

I usually use two collet type removers and pry them off but this seems to be no good for the ones that are punched onto there pipes and have been manhandled in the past. I can probably put them back on with my punches bit ive seen some tools about but not to sure because even though I'm protecting the dial accidents can happen.

Anyone have other ways for the chrono hands?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Jon, unfortunately this happens a lot especially with Tags and Breitlings. It is best to replace the hand it it happens but if you cannot get them then you have an intricate job to re-attach the pipe and make it stable.

I had the same issue with a Breitling Avenger luckily I found a replacement hand. However since then I found many recommending hand removing tweezers when working with tight hands. I have not tried this but I can see why it might help.

post-234-0-19518300-1430254421.png

I had the same issue with a Breitling Avenger luckily I found a replacement hand. However since then I found many recommending hand removing tweezers when working with tight hands. I have not tried this but I can see why it might help.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-04-28 at 21.52.22.png

Hi clockboy, unfortunately I think that wouldnt work on the chrono hands as there so close to the dial.[emoji31]

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-04-28 at 21.52.22.png

I have the above tool, and it works well for the main chronograph hand, when the tube remains on its pinion.  As for the small chronograph hand, I tend to find it easier to remove the dial, and then using the small pair of hand levers, this way you can get the levers jaws under the broken off tube, and carefully prise it up off its pinion.

• 1 year later...

Ugh. Looks like this just happened to me with the running hand on a breitling chronomatic calibre 11.  It's one with the bright orange running hand  

Any advice on how to reattach the pipe or perhaps someone that I can send the hand to for repair? This is a nice watch and I really don't want to ruin it with an operation that I'm not familiar with. 

image.jpeg

Edited by sstakoff
  • Like 1