Vintage Rolex Oyster Perpetual

Got this Vintage circa 1964 Rolex Oyster Perpetual No Date in a very bad shape, its running but the stem is broken. I did not have the case back tool yet, so did not open the case.

post-660-0-58686400-1430199331_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-26995700-1430199366_thumb.jpg

At the 12 O'Clock position written " Registered Design 1025" I think, the 1025 is not very clear.

post-660-0-81626900-1430199396_thumb.jpg

At 6 O'clock serial number is 98xxxx

post-660-0-45121300-1430199412_thumb.jpg

I will open it up once I got the tool, looks like the watch run no problem since it's an automatic but the dial is is awfully bad shape.

Anyone can advise me what Caliber is this, and what best to do to that stem, crown and dial.

Thanks

Affnan

That's a real vintage & will require a lot of restoration. The fact that it is running is a very good sign. A pic of the movement will help with the ID of it's caliber.

Getting replacement parts is difficult with Rolex but you never know whats out there until you look.

PS is it the Crystal that is marked or is it the dial face.

PS is it the Crystal that is marked or is it the dial face.

I was about to ask the same question!

Will

Looks like the crystal has hundreds of cracking sign, this may be acrylic or perspex but not glass. Dial face do has some blemish and patina to it. Until I do a tear down only then I can say for sure the condition.

post-660-0-83621500-1430216513_thumb.jpg

The stem snap off at the crown, is there a way to get it out. There is nothing to hold on to.

post-660-0-61543500-1430216580_thumb.jpg

I'll update this post with the strip down, but that has to wait for the case  back tool.

Got this online base on the serial number, not sure how correct it is.

The Production Year of Your Rolex is 1954

Edited by Affnan
  • Like 1

Not too sure about alum, I believe there are steel components in this crown assembly. It would be hard to keep the alum away from the parts you don't want damaged. The internal spring would probably get hurt in the process.

As a last ditch effort before I give up and order a new one, I would gently file away the edges or shoulders of the crown, exposing a bit of the broken stem.

0.5mm should be enough to give you something to grip and turn. Applying some localized heat will help. You will need to find a way to hold the post at the tip, if you just hold the crown you may damage the whole assembly.

Anil

• Like 1

Looks like a great project George, hope the dial is reasonable for you and is salvageable, It's 3 years younger than me and still ticking can't wait to see inside.

Cheers,

Vic

Absolutely, I didn't think about the spring, it'll definitely be ruined along with the steel "housing" enclosing it if dipped in alum! With bigger components you could drill and reverse thread and then unscrew but at this level you have to make sure those .5 mm you will be baring can be grabbed securely...the tool has to be in real good shape! I've been there before and because of a cheap tool I couldn't get it out...I learned my lesson then! Whatever you do, I wish you success...

@Vic: Hi Vic, I think the project is Affnan's! :)

Cheers,

Bob

Funny thing, even when completely relaxed I can still make a C**k up, thats what happens when you mess with the computer when your carer is out.  Apologies to all especially Affnan - still it is a great project and we are all waiting with baited breath to see that dial.

Cheers,

Vic

Thanks all for the suggestion and tips.

It will be quite a challenge for a greenhorn and this going to be a slow and cautious project. On the crown, as interim measures I may try an after market crown with generic stem since this item is not part of internal movement and can be easily replaced later on, its okay to temporarily use an alternative while the genuine item on "work in progress"  No doubt the crystal needs replacement, it will be like opening a treasure chest once it's open, was told this watch never had any service since new.

It will be quite a while before I can strip the watch, it's a long way to get the needed tools.. and it's quite costly as well.

In the mean time, there is always a few Seikos, Orient and Citizens for target practice :)

Affnan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Open up the Oyster Perpetual to check inside, the case reference is #1025 with caliber 1570 not sure about the serial number if it's on the movement then it's D79409

post-660-0-55682900-1431349883_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-85160100-1431349927_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-62259600-1431349959_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-13308200-1431349991_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-59619700-1431350021_thumb.jpg

Doesn't make sense, the serial number at 6 O'Clock traced to 1954. I doubt Caliber 1570 already available during that period, or this watch has mix and match parts :(

I'll need to get quote on that dial and inform the owner whether he want to proceed with full restoration. Otherwise I'll just replace the stem, crown and crystal.

Affnan