Practice

I am starting to get serious about the mechanicals of a Watch.

I have a feeling I am better starting with a clock then maybe a pocket Watch.

So stripping down said clock then cleaning - oiling and finally putting back together.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Advice very welcome, I need it.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I believe it is a good idea although lots of clocks are kind of "different" to a watch...just some solutions, procedures and size makes them so. I started with pocket watches and Japanese inexpensive watches. The main part is to deal with the smaller pieces and how to handle them appropriately and safely...no fliers, damage, scratches, etc. This is only accomplished with the real thing I guess. In any case, if you do start with clocks, we have a section here that is growing slowly but very nicely.

Cheers,

Bob

I started with clocks although my passion was always watches. With clocks every part is larger & clocks are more forgiving so repair is easier but the basics are the same as watch. Pocket watches would be a step towards watch repair & servicing but parts are difficult to source.

Thanks Bob & Clockboy, not such a stupid idea then.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Looks like I will start on a Clock.

I should point out I have done minor repairs on Watches, but I feel I need to start from the ground up.

I tend to do things slowly, so may make an ideal Watch mechanic.

The strange thing with all this is, as a kid I did like to play with clocks and Watches, I ended up in I.T, Oh dear.

If you enjoy watches and want to look into repairing them then id say go for the pocket watch route. There are many reasons why i say this and they are as follows :)

1) Pocket movements in general are quite cheap to pick up, flea bay etc

2) They are larger versions of their smaller cousins so most principles that apply to pocket watches apply to almost all wristwatches

3) Being larger the movements are easier to work on with stronger parts ( so you're little less likely to break them ), plus if you drop parts on the floor ( which you WILL ) , they are a lot easier to find :)

4) Working on watch balances is no easy task so learning how they function and being able to repair or adjust them is slightly easier when they are pocket watch size.

5) Keyless works, this is a good area to learn the different types as Waltham and Omega for example are very different and same differences can be found in their wristwatch counter parts.

6) Learning repairs on a £5 pocket watch movement is far less soul destroying than starting out on a £50 wristwatch movement and giving up too early :(

There are many other reasons i could give but its just my 2 cents, hopefully whatever you choose you will enjoy and do well in :)

• Like 2

If you go for particular makes of pocket watch - particularly the US Elgin and Waltham movements - then you'll probably find a fair few available for a reasonable price on eBay. Both firms manufactured them in their millions so, even though they're comparatively old, they're not particularly rare, and odd parts can be sourced in the US if necessary.

Cheers,

Will

Or you can start with the Unitas (also ETA) 6498 et al. Plenty of parts everywhere! (Original a pocket watch movement).

Absolutely! A brand-new 6497 clone from Hong Kong is only about £35...

1. Buy a cheapo watch of the net...

2. Wear it for a while and see it works ok.

3. Tear it apart.

4. Get it together again.

5. If it works then go to point 7.

6. If it doesn't work, go to point 3.

7. Buy another watch off the net.

8. Go back to point 1.

The main point I want to make is you need to start with a working watch. Broken watches are broken for a reason..and that reason may be something fairly obvious OR it may be something that has stumped someone else (maybe me??) who has given it up as a bad job and sold it on..! In which case it will only serve to demoralize you.

Watches are not really that delicate or complex. If you're careful not much can go wrong. Just ensure a clean workspace and a clear mind and take it slow.

Anil