Citizen/Miyota 8200 Lift Angle

Paul80

Hi all

Just finished a service on a Citizen 8200 which I understand uses a Miyota movement.

Anyone know what the correct lift angle is for this movement as it's not mentioned in any of the online lists I use.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

Watchguy UK gives the Miyota 8215 as 49.0 deg. and Ranfft puts the 8215 in the same family as the 8200. If you want to know for sure, you can set your movement to a known amplitude, and adjust the lift angle in your timing machine until the amplitude-reading matches. There are threads on here describing the procedure in detail.

12 hours ago, Paul80 said:

Anyone know what the correct lift angle is for this movement as it's not mentioned in any of the online lists I use.

Even if one doesn't, the good news is that is not an important data at all. The timegrapher will show beat error, timing and patter totally unaffected. Only the amplitude will be slightly off, to a most of 4-5 deg perhaps, not enough to affect good judgment.

11 hours ago, Klassiker said:

If you want to know for sure, you can set your movement to a known amplitude, and adjust the lift angle in your timing machine until the amplitude-reading matches.

Good luck getting reliable results doing that. You need to use high-speed photography and overlay a goniometer to the digital image, to measure with an error around 5 degrees. A waste of time and effort in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, jdm said:

Good luck getting reliable results doing that. You need to use high-speed photography and overlay a goniometer to the digital image, to measure with an error around 5 degrees. A waste of time and effort in my opinion. 

I have a couple YouTube videos that make it look simpler than what you're describing. Plus we've already discussed this in the group somewhere before.

https://youtu.be/-Xgcck692js

https://youtu.be/1ozEEAkYX0M

But to some degree it's a waste of time unless you're really obsessed or you're having some sort of problem like the amplitude is low on the timing machine but visually it looks great in the watch. Or the timing machine says the amplitude is way too high and you know it's not. Or for some reason you just really obsessed with having the perfect lift angle like for a pocket watch which could be just about anything versus a wristwatch that typically fall within a relatively narrow range. Which is why the timing machine defaults to 52°.

Then I have a different reference that what's referenced above and it says 49°. 

https://calibercorner.com/miyota-caliber-8215/

• Like 1

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hi. Use a PVA based glue, gorilla glue it dries transparent then do as advised by Old Hippy, smoothe down using very fine  0000 wire wool and either French polish or beeswax for a finish.
    • Hello and welcome to the forum.    Enjoy
    • The problem with oil in particular 9010 is it likes to spread. This is why you're supposed to use epilam anywhere it's used to keep the oil in place. Then you want to splurge on money you could buy 941 it's actually an oil that existed before 9415. Then the problem with the grease yes it stays in place but if you have too much you lose amplitude. Then if you get really obsessed with this he would follow Omega's recommendation for escapement lubrication. One of the problems with internal documents of the watch companies is typically are never going to see Them.But a few of them out in the wild for instance at this link Below I searched for the keyword of working. In particular working instructions of the Omega watch company for which there is way more than This but this is all they have. So you want to download number 40 as were going to talk about that and also download Number 81. Plus anything else that looks interesting https://www.cousinsuk.com/document/search?SearchString=Working Then number 40 covers lubrication of the watch. Most interesting is lubrication of the lever escapement under three different conditions with Lubrifar Which you probably no longer have has been washed off without which is what you have and then a course with epilam. Notice how they go supers super minimalistic with the 9415 because if it's too heavy you lose amplitude. Then if you lose amplitude the group will be disappointed with you and the end of the world will come.      
    • You would always get an answer John, you dont need to be dramatic or humerous to get one, but it was appreciated anyway 🙂 Kind of, for those of us that wish to stay in touch and continue to learn from each other in case the forum ever dissappears then yes i suppose so . I  hope that you would also count yourself in , what we learn from you is invaluable,  how you benefit from that exactly I'm not sure, being able to teach ? I did say is it ok to ask mark for some input John and suggested that he might read the thread that explains how some of us feel. I dont see how its really discussing forum policy, but in all honesty i wish i had never even bothered now.
    • While you might have seen it as a humorous/Dramatic remark was done very deliberately so I could get an answer. Let me quote myself? The simplistic of this entire discussion is the group would like the last forever.   If you go to the top of the discussion group you'll find something to click on that says staff. Then you click on Mark's name and you find out interesting things? For instance he was last here on Saturday so yes he is here. If there is a crisis or a problem he is going to be here. You will also find a list of his activity although that's only the public activity. There's a lot of work that goes into running message boards and he probably does a lot of stuff in the background that we don't see to keep it going. Unfortunately message boards do not run themselves. Then regarding this did you notice you can message Mark and ask him. Then if somebody, we could elect somebody from this discussion such as @Neverenoughwatches To reach out I would really keep the message super simple like? You could refer him to this discussion but I would really keep it simple Like for instance the group enjoys his message board and what could we do to keep it going Forever? Then regarding all of the other suggestions comments helpful remarks or ideas? When was the last time any of you bothered to read the message board rules? This is covered which is one of the reasons I did the dramatic things I did to provoke a response of the basics as opposed to starting to suggest or seemingly suggesting all sorts of ideas which are covered by one of the rules found in the section on rules. In other words I'm going to quote something from the rules of the message board.