Chess clocks - beginner's question

BigSapphire

Hi - I am wanting to clean and lubricate several mechanical chess clocks in my collection.   I have some successful watch tinkering background and a mechanical engineering background.  I've regulated mechanical watches, changed batteries in quartz ones, removed and replaced hands and dials, etc. but have not ventured into overhauling movements (at least as yet).  I've done nearly nothing on clocks before other than the very simple stuff like leveling or adjusting pendulum length. 

Mechanical chess clocks are generally a pair of spring driven, non-jeweled movements interlinked with a mechanism to stop the balance wheel on one clock while starting the other one. There is also a linkage position which stops both clocks. Each clock has its own dial, hands, crystal, etc. 

Even an avid player would have used these no more than 15 or 20 hours per month. Most players would used one only a few hours per month.  As these clocks spend the vast majority of their time stopped and in storage, the wear on the mechanism would be pretty minimal (I'd think).  The ones I have seem more dirty and gunky than anything. 

I'm picking chess clocks for several reasons. I have five or six which all work, but would benefit from maintenance. As there are two identical clocks per unit, I can disassemble and reassemble one at a time with the other as a reference. There are no complications like a chime train, other than the stop/start linkage. These are not big units generally, but are not tiny either.  The movements are more or less alarm clock size so the parts seem not too small for a beginner to handle. It could well be the gateway drug to working on mantel clocks, etc. but I'll take that chance.

I can get parts only by getting a unit from the same manufacturer via eBay or similar, and scavenging parts. With modern players mostly using digital clocks, the market for working mechanical clocks is pretty soft, and for non working ones, really soft.  

My question is where do I go to learn how to repair, clean and assemble clocks in general?  I know this forum is mostly watches and will ask my questions here, but I'm looking for lessons in general clock work, or posts I can read to learn before I dive in.  Perfectly willing to do the homework - only need the text book. 

I'm not sure how you would go about things where you live, so I can only make suggestions. Is there someone near to you that could teach you. Any place where you could take lessons such as a collage. Here in England you can enroll with the B H I and take a course working from home, but you have to go to London to try and pass the exam. I can help you with the repairs of the chess clocks telling you what to do providing you can supply photos of the movement. What tools do you have? I can help you with the tools such as what to buy.    

Thank you!   

There is a chapter of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors (NAWCC) in the same metro area where I am (Atlanta GA area).  Two issues with them - they may or may not be meeting with the return of Covid, and they are at least 1 1/2 hours from me due to traffic density.  They seem more clock show and collector oriented though I know they do have some emphasis on education and repair.   All that said, I will touch bases with them as well.  Wish I was in England - I'd sure do the BHI courses. 

I have a clean and well lit bench and general workshop so  I can leave a project partially done as needed. 

I have a good set of screwdrivers, one pair of Dumont tweezers, various case and bracelet tools which won't be germane, a Bergeon hand puller, a Horotec hand setting set for watches which might work for clocks, grey Rodico, and a TimeGrapher. 

I have pegwood, a set of manual oilers, one oil well, a 5x B&L loupe, and a Donegan visor with an illumination kit. I have old clock oil but will discard that for new for certain. 

There are other watch tools, like a water resistance pressure tester, which won't be germane to clocks. 

I'm willing to invest in better tools btw, though I know it's value for money, not name brands, which should rule the buying decision. 

I am thinking an ultrasonic cleaner and solutions may be a good thing as I can also use it for cleaning watch bracelets, the wife's jewelry, and other mechanicals as need be.  I take it that it is not a necessity for clocks but it isn't that expensive either. 

Any thoughts on that would be welcome, especially on what fluids to purchase.  

I think my first project will be from your area of the world.  I have a Sutton Coldfield clock which I know was sold by members of the large and well known Sutton Coldfield chess club in the mid 1960s.  I'm sure they were the retailers only but I am not sure who the manufacturer would have been. It may say on the works once I look more carefully.

The clock is in perfect cosmetic condition and does run pretty well. If I don't use it for a few months, it is hard to get going. Once both sides have been encouraged to go (using the clock's rocker bar of course) for a bit, it will run reliably, with each side restarting crisply when needed.  It also ticks fairly loudly for a chess clock. It would be nicer if a bit more quiet.  I'm thinking a disassembly, a good cleaning, and a correct reoiling and reassembly on both sides would be all it would need.  

And thanks again for the kind offer of support! 

Hi  As you already know the chess clock is a simple clock mechanism started and stopped by the rocker bar. Cleaning and repairing them is the same process as any clock, I would recommend getting hold of a cheap single train time only clock and practice on that or a cheap alarm clock. Problem being finding the time only clock with a balance wheel most cheap alarm clocks have this.

This video will give you some introduction. I have attached some  documents for your interest, They will give you some insight into the task ahead.    cheers

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist.pdf TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf BHI-DLC-Tech-L1.pdf

You can almost disregard the watch tools. A strong pair of tweezers, a selection of screwdrivers which you can pick up in any hardware store. Watchmaker’s pliers versus, one pair with smooth jaw’s. A good pair of nippers. Clock oil get a bottle of Windles. Horolene Clock Cleaning Concentrated Fluid, this is ammoniated so for heaven’s sake use in a well ventilated place and use rubber gloves. I don’t recommend ultrasonic cleaners for any clock movement that dates from around 1915 backwards; they can cause stress fractures in the brass. One problem you might have with the chess clock movement and this applies to any movement that has a balance with conical pivots is they wear and become blunt and need stoning to a point. Imagine a blunt pencil that is what can happen to the pivot, then what it is like after you sharpen it, this is what it is like after stoning it. I know of no other way of obtaining this without a lathe.  

• Like 1