Raymond Weil crystal replacement

Searched the forum for this with no luck.

Here is a ladies Raymond Weil needing a new glass.

This is not my first crystal glass replacement, but this one looks different.

1) it is thinner than most
2) does not appear to have a neoprene or some other plastic that engages the crystal when pressed in
3) seems to have a bezel that overlaps the crystal (cannot believe this could be but I bring it up anyway).

Do I just press it out and then press a new one in like I have done with others noted above?  Or...do I use glue?

2021-08-15 16_50_59-20210815_163912.jpg ‎- Photos.png

6 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

2) does not appear to have a neoprene or some other plastic that engages the crystal when pressed in

You mean the normal nylon gasket. Neoprene is the black rubberish stuff used on e.g. wetsuits.

6 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Do I just press it out and then press a new one in like I have done with others noted above?  Or...do I use glue?

If no gasket or tension ring then must use cement or the crystal won't stay securely in place.

24 minutes ago, jdm said:

You mean the normal nylon gasket. Neoprene is the black rubberish stuff used on e.g. wetsuits

Sorry...nylon or something like that (similar material found in case rings.  So yes...plastic tension ring.

I wear neoprene socks when I am wet-foot portaging (on canoe trips)...lol

32 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

plastic tension ring.

Being pedantic. A nylon gasket keeps the glass or sapphire crystal in place (and water out) because it makes a slight friction fit. It's sold and replaced separately from the crystal.

A tension ring is a metallic band sitting inside (from the factory) a domed acrylic crystal, it pushes it out to the case. Not waterproof and not used anymore since decades.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Being pedantic. A nylon gasket keeps the glass or sapphire crystal in place (and water out) because it makes a slight friction fit. It's sold and replaced separately from the crystal.

A tension ring is a metallic band sitting inside (from the factory) a domed acrylic crystal, it pushes it out to the case. Not waterproof and not used anymore since decades.

That is fine.  I always correct people who write "DC voltage" when according to IEEE writing guidelines they should instead say "dc."

8 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I have ordered a new tube of GS glue as I question the viability of the GS that was left to me eons ago.

That stuff is great, invented in 1939. Let us know your old tube vintage and conditions 😀

Cool! Antique Hypo Cement!

I think it is an acrylic adhesive,  but I'm not sure. Also don't know what the shelf life is, mine is old and still OK, but not that old!

The truly curious could ask GS, as they are still around.

Cheers!