Sourcing a domed saphire glass for a Zenith Elite

Luc

Hello,

I broke the glass of this Zenith Watch.
Also, there is a plastic washer inside the bezel, internal diameter measured with the washer is 32.06mm, what diameter should I order? Is it enough to add 1/10 mm?

Cousins has 32.0 and 32.5, i'm afraid 32.5 is too big to insert.
Is there any other source recommended? 

Thank You for Your help

Zenith Elite 680.jpg

Edited by Luc

Hi Clockboy,

I don't know how much the washer can be compressed, 0.5 mm seems a lot to me.
Once the original glass is broken, it is too late to measure it, and I didn't found any reference on Zenith Elite case, only on the movement.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Luc said:

Also, there is a plastic washer inside the bezel

Normally called gasket.

3 hours ago, Luc said:

Internal diameter measured with the washer is 32.06mm

32mm. If you don't want to take a risk with an expensive crystal that can end being of the wrong size, order first the cheapest flat round one in 2 or 3 increments of 0.10mm.

Communities specializing in Zenith on other forums know details and often original crystal can be found for sale there. Sterncruetz also makes high quality crystals if want to spend less. There is also the issue of tension ring which pops out when you try inserting the crystal with regular crystal lifts, you need a crystal press. 

I am afraid cheap crystals give you a false feel which you need for the task.

This is a quality watch and with a good rebuild serves you another lifetime.

I bought a mineral domed glass 32.5 mm, but couldn't insert it (broke it)

I used a cheap crytal press, this kind: image.png.f33eca248171c077ffb9376008e51998.png

with nylon dyes, put the crystal flat on top of the gasket, but broke it.

Not sure what I should try, another glass and smaller gasket, different press, like this one:image.png.125cd8766cdd55071579afb5b9f2fbb0.png

Any recommendations?

3 minutes ago, Luc said:

I bought a mineral domed glass 32.5 mm, but couldn't insert it (broke it)

As I had mentioned before, if the opening with gaskets measure 32 or very close to that, you need a 32mm crystal. 

3 minutes ago, Luc said:

Not sure what I should try, another glass and smaller gasket, different press, like this one:

Problem is with the crystal die, not the press. You need a die that presses on the rim on the crystal, not on the very top. If it's not in your set you will need to adapt one or get another set.

20 minutes ago, Luc said:

,regarding the dye, it was a 32 mm diameter

Die diameter is not enough. You must check that it's of the crown type, that is, it presses on diameter of the crystal only, not on the center. For high dome crystals that may mean that it must also have a taper to better fit the crystal shape.