Main spring feels rough when winding an automatic movement

So I rebuilt a very beat up 3075 movement and I replaced the main spring with a Rolex spring and soon as the spring is fully wound and begins to slip it feels very rough. I’m thinking maybe I used too much breaking Grease (8217) but just wanted to ask to see if this is correct before I take the whole thing apart. Just some history this is a very beat up movement that had a lot of water damage that wasn’t properly fixed and I had to replace a lot of parts but fortunately everything is running great and this is the only issue I’ve come across. It’s running within two seconds fast or two seconds slow in 6 positions and I’m getting an amplitude between 260 and 285 with a beat error that doesn’t deviate past 0.3

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

and soon as the spring is fully wound and begins to slip it feels very rough. 

Just rough, or hard to turn?

If the latter then likely when on wrist the weight cannot win that friction, the auto winding mechanism will be stress and may end failing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Sounds to me if it is rough when winding the auto pawl wheels need oiling. 

I haven’t even put the auto mechanism on I don’t put that on until I case the watch. So it’s definitely only when spring spring is fully winded

7 hours ago, jdm said:

Just rough, or hard to turn?

If the latter then likely when on wrist the weight cannot win that friction, the auto winding mechanism will be stress and may end failing.

It’s rough and it gets a little harder to turn but not too bad it just does not feel as smooth as it should. I haven’t put the auto mechanism on it yet to test it because I want to sort this out first. I am noticing the spring doesn’t advance when it slips at all, what I mean by that is sometimes when the spring slips you can hear it slightly advance when it breaks friction but this only slips as you turn it.. too much breaking Grease? I’m working the next couple days so it will be A few days before I get to it. I’m thinking at this point I’m going to take the barrel apart to investigate, it just bothers me I have to take it apart and I’d like to find out some tips from someone more experienced before I get back into it.

19 hours ago, oldhippy said:

In that case it must be the spring or the inside of the barrel. 

yeah, maybe additional grease required, its probably metal on metal grinding your feeling

On 6/4/2021 at 9:53 AM, oldhippy said:

In that case it must be the spring or the inside of the barrel. 

That’s kind of what I’m thinking but is it too much grease because I thought I put quite a bit in there or too little grease. First time I’ve had this problem I’ll take a look when I inspect it.