Hi everyone, newbie watch repairer here :)

Morning everyone, hope you are all keeping safe and well.

Its all Mark's fault ;). I decided during lockdown to start a new hobby, and having always loved watches, I wanted to learn how to dismantle, clean, lubricate and rebuild a watch movement. A short time later, many deliveries from Cousins, and no-end of youtube videos, I gave it a go.

First movement I serviced was a chinese made 6498 clone. Went very well, am amazed how well it went in fact. Keeps perfect time..... so far 🙂 Last weekend I challenged myself by doing an ETA 2824-2. Blimey, maybe it was too soon to go to a much smaller and more complicated movement (good thing I didn't do a 7750!!) After really struggling with the pallet bridge, I got it assembled and it works also. Maybe I should stick with a few 6498's at first, found it very stressful.

The fact that these were new units, not old knackered ones probably made it easier. But still, we all have to start somewhere. We must all have that dream of finding a Patek for £5 at a car boot sale, but until then, maybe a few old pocket watches would be challenge enough.

Anyway, thats enough waffling, hope to join in as much as my limited knowledge allows.

Kindest regards all

Matt.

16 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy.

A fair few of the more experienced guys on here say to start with movements that are working or new. Assists with fault finding if you put it together and it doesn't work.

Oh i'm sure it won't be long until I am fault finding a lot with my rebuilds 🙂 

Cheers 🙂 

On 5/24/2021 at 9:20 PM, mattetienne said:

Morning everyone, hope you are all keeping safe and well.

Its all Mark's fault ;). I decided during lockdown to start a new hobby, and having always loved watches, I wanted to learn how to dismantle, clean, lubricate and rebuild a watch movement. A short time later, many deliveries from Cousins, and no-end of youtube videos, I gave it a go.

First movement I serviced was a chinese made 6498 clone. Went very well, am amazed how well it went in fact. Keeps perfect time..... so far 🙂 Last weekend I challenged myself by doing an ETA 2824-2. Blimey, maybe it was too soon to go to a much smaller and more complicated movement (good thing I didn't do a 7750!!) After really struggling with the pallet bridge, I got it assembled and it works also. Maybe I should stick with a few 6498's at first, found it very stressful.

The fact that these were new units, not old knackered ones probably made it easier. But still, we all have to start somewhere. We must all have that dream of finding a Patek for £5 at a car boot sale, but until then, maybe a few old pocket watches would be challenge enough.

Anyway, thats enough waffling, hope to join in as much as my limited knowledge allows.

Kindest regards all

Matt.

Beginning is the greatest thing..  start with a watch that's not expensive.. leave the things like pallet forks until your confidence grows.  

Learn when to walk away for a day or so if its too stressful this is a thing of fun..  just do what you can and it will fall into place.    Good onya Matt. Think outside the box.. it'll come..

• Like 1